Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's Sword on EBAY!

Hello Eric and everybody on this forum.

Could you please tell me your opinions on this sword from the few pictures and horrible description. I maybe interested. Is this a good price for an officer's folded blade?

Cheers guys.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

It is kind of hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like a bad sword, depending on the condition of the blade. Without knowing that much more about it the price probably isn't that bad for a WWII period made blade (least interesting and expensive). I'd ask him for a better picture of the blade, just make sure he didn't clean it with sandpaper. The one big positive in my opinion is the tassle, the prices on these alone are getting very high. The other interesting thing is the customs sticker, it would be interesting to see it and if it's dated.
    I'm far from an expert on swords but in my opinion it's not too bad right now.

the other eric

Comment

HI tom

Looks like a standard japanese shingunto officers with i think a factory made blade .i think £400 is its price i would rather see it for real than buy blind

dave

Comment

Tom,

First of all, welcome to the Japanese Militaria Forum.

Based on what I saw of the Army officer's shingunto, I would agree with what Eric (a.k.a. Blinky) and Dave have already mentioned.

You could ask the seller if the blade is sharp or dull next to the habaki which would be an indication if the blade was old or new. My guess is that the blade is dull which means that it is a new (i.e., wartime) blade.

Four hundred pounds doesn't sound too bad for the sword and tassel. (I couldn't tell what colors are on the tassel. It is more than likely brown and blue for company grade as opposed to brown and red for field grade or gold for general grade. Perhaps you could ask the seller for clarification on the tassel.) Also, the shipping tag sounds like a nice addition too.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
          You could ask the seller if the blade is sharp or dull next to the habaki which would be an indication if the blade was old or new. My guess is that the blade is dull which means that it is a new (i.e., wartime) blade.

Eric
          Hello Eric,

COuld you elaborate more on this please. I have some idea but not great. Thanks for all your comments by the way though guys

Comment

Tom,

If there is a blunt "cutting edge" just forward of the habaki (i.e., blade collar) it is a good sign that the blade is a Showa (i.e., 1925 thru the end of World War II in this particular case) blade.

Eric

Comment

Don't assume that it is a hand-forged blade from the presence of a "Wavy line" on the blade. These temper lines were simulated on common wartime-made non-forged blades also. Finally, to rain on your parade a bit more, also be aware that these tassels are being reproduced.

Comment

Ebay Gunto

Hi All,<O</O

I can tell from the pics (I hate those small ebay pics) it’s an oil quenched blade forged blade. These are known as Showa To. The tassel is also real. It is a decent piece and it should go for $1200-$1500 US.<O</O

Comment

Hi guys, I got many extra pictures but in a zip file. If you would like them I'm happy to oblige. I won't be bidding. Although I know it would be much more expesive, I'm looking for an Ancient family blade...... $£$£$£$£$£$£$£!

Comment

Many times very old family blades are mounted in WWII fittings.
                    How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

I really no idea matey. It will be me and my father who would make the purchase I think. Could you give me any idea on prices?

Comment

Tom-

Your question is akin to "how much should I pay for a car?" Hand made antique blades can be priceless down to worthless. You are venturing in to a field that has so many variables that define value. If you are serious, I would suggest finding a knowledgable collector in your area who can guide you in a purchase. Some of the items that can detract from value include but are not limited to-poor workmanship, forging flaws, fake signature, cracks through the temper line, retempered. This is just a small number of the items that define value. Age is not always relevant to value. This is why I suggest finding someone who can help guide you. However, beware the sharks out there. Many dealers in Japanese swords have the morals and ethics of a woman of the street.
                        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman
                          Tom-

However, beware the sharks out there. Many dealers in Japanese swords have the morals and ethics of a woman of the street.
                          Bob
                          That just made my laugh. Good one Bob.

T

Comment

Tom, i bought on Saturday a family blade dating from pre 1590 in WW2 mounts. Great condition silver family mon fitted with its officers tassle and pierced tsuba. I paid £1200 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanaka
                              Tom, i bought on Saturday a family blade dating from pre 1590 in WW2 mounts. Great condition silver family mon fitted with its officers tassle and pierced tsuba. I paid £1200 for it.
                              Beautiful, Is it possible you could email some pictures of it? It would be helpful with my research with these. Cheers,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X