Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yosegaki Hinomaru with airplane art

Hello everyone,
    Here is a signed flag that I have. It has interesting airplane art on it. I believe it says something like conquer the sky next to it.I cannot see a receivers name on it, unless I am just missing it. If there is anything anyone would like to add, I would appreciate it. Thanks,

PG-
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

v
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't see a recipient's name, either.

The airplane drawing:
            勇戦奮鬪
            Yūsen Funtō
            Bravely Fight with Strenuous Effort
            [Go Down Bravely Fighting]
            Die in Combat, Fighting*

*based on the translation of this print in the Library of Congress with the title:
            西伯利烏蘇里之戰闘許斐大尉勇戰奮闘名譽の戰死
            Shiberia Usurī no sentō Konomi Taii yūsen funtō meiyo no senshi = The battle of Usri [i.e. Ussuri], Siberia : Captain Konomi died in the battle, fighting

There's also:

Nin / Shinobu
            endurance; forbearance; patience; self-restraint
            [same kanji for ninja: 忍者 An enduring, patient person ]

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy! That's interesting. Thanks for your time and efforts

PG-

Comment

the flag has a great look to it.. thanks for sharing..

Comment

OKAY!!!! The person who drew the aircraft amongst the clouds also wrote this maxim to the right of it:

征空
                  Seikū Seiteki
                  Conquer the Sky, Admonish the Enemy

or ....
                  征空
                  Seikū Gaiteki
                  Conquer the Sky, Admonish the Enemy

内藤
                  Naitō
                  [surname]

--Guy

Comment

Paul - nice flag. I've seen one other hinomaru with an airplane depicted on it. It had the side profile of a "Zero". Was at a flea market locally with two other WWII Japanese flags. I bought one of the three, but not the plane one unfortunately.

Comment

Nice flag, Paul. I wonder if the recipient's father signed his name: Kanji for what looks like father (chichi) at approx. the 8 o'clock position.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
                        Nice flag, Paul. I wonder if the recipient's father signed his name: Kanji for what looks like father (chichi) at approx. the 8 o'clock position.

Tom
                        I think you are right. There were a couple of translations offered when I got the flag. It seems like a few things were translated a long time ago. One of the translations is: "Be patient" - Father- Hiko Saburo
                        I am not sure if that is correct, as I thought a name ending in "ko" was female? Maybe its Hiro Saburo??
                        I think this is just to the right of the "conquer the sky" kanji.

PG-

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                          ...One of the translations is: "Be patient" - Father- Hiko Saburo
                          I am not sure if that is correct, as I thought a name ending in "ko" was female? Maybe its Hiro Saburo??

Yes, the translation is correct with a minor modification. Change "Hiko Saburo" to "Hikozaburo" -- it is a male given-name. Indeed, it looks like the father signed the flag. Now if only we can tease out to whom it was given. Father did not have to write his family name since the son knows him ... like a father.

Nin/Shinobu
                          Patience!

Chichi [father]

彦三郎
                          Hikozaburō

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                            .... I thought a name ending in "ko" was female?
                            That's a pretty good rule-of-thumb; however, there are exceptions. In high school my best friend's name was Hidehiko:

英比古
                            Hidehiko

I didn't speak Japanese then, and when others called his name, it sounded like "Hideko" to me. I was soundly corrected to fully pronounce the "hi" [Japanese kind of morph it into "Hide`iko -- at least to my ears that's what it sounded like.]

When a name ends in ~ko and uses the kanji, then it's a girl.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                              That's a pretty good rule-of-thumb; however, there are exceptions. In high school my best friend's name was Hidehiko:

英比古
                              Hidehiko

I didn't speak Japanese then, and when others called his name, it sounded like "Hideko" to me. I was soundly corrected to fully pronounce the "hi" [Japanese kind of morph it into "Hide`iko -- at least to my ears that's what it sounded like.]

When a name ends in ~ko and uses the kanji, then it's a girl.

--Guy
                              Okay, Thanks Guy! I am familiar with the Kanji symbol you show for "Ko", to me it looks like a funny looking fish hook. Just when I thought I had something figured out, .........That's pretty funny. But, I guess every language has its exceptions. Thanks for the further information and learning lesson!

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X