Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of swords Im interested in.

Hi
    I've seen these swords at auction and would be grateful for your opinions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Frank
    Attached Files

pics

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

The one with the markings on blade is a Chinese repro G.

Comment

The one in 44 mounts appears to have a gendiato blade
        You often find star stamped blades in these mounts

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

The first sword, a Type 32 IJA sword appears authentic as does the leather knot.

They came in two versions. The first, "ko" and the second "otsu".

The "ko" has a blade length of 32 3/4 inches. The "otsu" has a blade length of 30 1/2 inches.

The ko was issued to NCO and EM in Cavalry whereas the shorter otsu was issued to NCO and EM in Military Police, Transportation Corps and Master Sergeants in Infantry, Engineers and Artillery.

(Info taken from Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945, Cyclopedia Edition, by Jim Dawson.)

The second sword appears authentic and as Nick has mentioned those late war IJA Officer mounts have been known to contain gendaito blades although of the three dozen or so that I have owned I've only come across one housing a star stamped blade.

The third sword is a Chinese reproduction as Geoff has mentioned.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Hi Stu
              Thank you very much for your help! I'm not going to bid on this lot, I don't want the helmet or the type 32, I would like the late war sword but I'll wait until one comes along by itself.
              Thanks again
              Frank
              PS Id love to be able to say " of the three dozen or so that I have owned "

Comment

If you bid right, you can sell off the items you don't want. You may end up with a free sword....you never know. I have only 1 type 3 late war sword like this one, and it has a star stamped Gendaito blade. After reading Nick Komiyas information about these swords, it makes sense to me why you will often find better blades, in these cruder type 3 fittings. Since the price was fixed for payment to the sword maker, the better blades get cruder mounts, and the machine made blades get better quality mounts. This handle like mine, is simply a burlap wrap thats been painted with a red / maroon colored paint. The Saya is also wood covered with a burlap and painted black. I think Nick also mentions that it was a bit of a slap back at the government to have such a nice hand made blade in crude mounting.

PG-

Comment

Hi Paul
                  I think your right, I stick on a low bid
                  My wife will go nuts if she finds out
                  All the best
                  Frank

Comment

Or tell us where the auction is

Comment

It's a $600 -$800 picklehaube if real . Rob
                      God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I don't like the plate on the picklehaube
                        Are the three swords and haube really being sold as one lot?

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                          I don't like the plate on the picklehaube
                          Are the three swords and haube really being sold as one lot?
                          Hi
                          Sorry for my late reply, the Chinese gunto is a separate lot, the picklehaube and two Japanese swords are one lot.
                          All the best
                          Frank

PS they were sold for £700

Comment

Hello Frank,

I think you made the correct choice. If the plate is bad and the Type 32 isn't worth much anyway then that leaves the late war sword which appears to have blade condition issues. All said and done I think you were better off to pass them by. One of the problems militaria collectors run into with late war gendaito is that even if that is a star stamped blade it would take a couple thousand USD or more to bring it back to life. Then you sometimes end up with a sword you can't sell for as much as you have put in it. Without a polish you have a rusty blade that will not satisfy most people. I know there are exceptions to this general theory but I'm just pointing out that sometimes it's better to pass them by.

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

Hi
                              Thanks for your help guys!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Regards
                              Frank

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X