Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncommon Yosegaki Hinomaru

Good morning guys,
    Just after a little help on one of my newest yosegaki hinomaru. This one came in a group of 3 flags and a techo all to the same transport soldier. If people are interested I can post the others.

This flag is one of the most interesting of the lot. It’s been signed on both sides. I do not know how common this action was, but has proved to be a little difficult in transcribing it.

I have separated it into Front and Back, so as to not confuse myself.
    This is what I have so far:

Back: (ties to the left)

祝出征 = Congratulations on your enlistment
    盡忠報國 = Serving the Nation with utmost loyalty.
    忠勇 = Loyalty and Bravery (in sun)
    忠義= Loyalty (Left bottom corner)

Front: (ties to the right)

忠君愛國 = Loyalty to the Sovereign & Patriotism (sun)

I believe I can also see the character for sincerity inside the sun disk .

Any help on the longer lines of kanji would be greatly appreciated. I think I can see what looks like some kind of an association running down the left hand side of the back side of the flag. Any ideas?

If close ups are needed please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Matt.

Front.

Back.

I've always understood that the centre of the flag was never marked or written on. This one dispels that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
      I've always understood that the centre of the flag was never marked or written on. This one dispels that theory.
      Great flag. First I've seen with writing on both sides. As far as writing in the orb I've seen it on occasion but it's certainly rarely encountered in my experience.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Hello,
        The double side's markings are amaizing, first one for me too. I have read it was forbidden to write in the sun's orb. But I have already seen a few flags with this feature. I suppose everyone was'nt aware of the rule. Like good old mom and dad, or younger relatives without deep military experience could made such mistakes. Kanji on the sun are more an exception than the rule. And military censorship has more important things to look after than every single hinomaru in the imperial forces.

Seems to be a lot of well wisher here. And even more if there are 2 others flags from the same transport soldier. Are the 2 others full of kanjis like this one?

Comment

Many thanks guys for your kind words.

Yes it is very unique in its layout. What initially drew me to it was that it came with the soldiers Techo, which in itself was not a common occurrence. Going through the pay book, I have been able to find that he was from Nagoya, was promoted to sergeant and was a part of the 36th corps, 1st company.

Since posting this flag, I have been able to translate a few more slogans, but still no luck on the long string of kanji.

Now to the other 2. When I purchased this lot I knew I was getting 2 flags and a techo, but when it arrived, to my surprise the parcel contained 3 flags. The surprise freebie was an awesome addition. From what I have deduced, the recipient was some type of teacher. So the well wishers could all be his students etc. Flag no.3 does mention the Chinese location of Hubei, so maybe was made over there and given to the soldier on a transfer etc. Very interesting none the less.

I will let the photo's do the talking now.

Flag 2

Flag 3(bonus)

Regards

Matt.

Comment

Stunning flags! Would you share the translations you already have please? Nice group.

Comment

Nice flags. great to see a trio with a techo named to the same soldier

PG-

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Paul.

Staldion,
                Most of them are the common slogans you see on most flags.

祝出征 = Congratulations on your enlistment
                盡忠報國 = Serving the Nation with utmost loyalty (each side of sun)
                忠勇 = Loyalty and Bravery (in sun)
                忠義= Loyalty (Left bottom corner)
                凱施を待つ = Wait for the Victory song to be performed. I'm not 100% on this.
                祈武運長久 Inori buun chōkyū (Praying for your everlasting fortunes in battle)
                忠君愛國 = Loyalty to the Sovereign & Patriotism (sun)
                誠忠 = loyalty; sincerity; allegiance; fidelity; integrity (sun)
                七生報國 = Dedicate 7 lives to the Nation

Some of the longer sentences I can make out a few characters, but not as a whole. Hence the purpose of the original post. haha

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X