Gunto Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gunto Comparison

Here's an - like I believe - interesting comparison between a standard and a (perhaps) later officer gunto. Notice the crude processing especially at the koshirae. No stamps at the late war piece. The semegane and the sayajiri should be naval parts. The machine made blade has an fake hamon. I know that these odd pieces are controversial. Some say late war, some say post war fake. But for me it Looks good.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ral6014; 10-24-2015, 01:58 PM.

Tsuka and kabuto.
    Attached Files

Comment

Semegane and sayajiri
      Attached Files

Comment

More details.
        Attached Files

Comment

More.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fuchi.
            Attached Files

Comment

The blades.
              Attached Files

Comment

The end of the nakago and the habaki. The right one is the machine made blade. The late war habaki is missing the cutout.
                Attached Files

Comment

Details of the tsuka.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi
                    Really interesting photographs! it is such a good idea to do a comparison.
                    Thanks for posting
                    Frank

Comment

The "late war" sword appears to be one of the put together swords sold by Japan Sword Co. in Tokyo during the Korean War period. The painted fittings and clipped off nakago are typical of these swords. They were originally sold with an unlined brown sloth sword bag. I have purchased three of these directly from Korean War vets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
                        The "late war" sword appears to be one of the put together swords sold by Japan Sword Co. in Tokyo during the Korean War period. The painted fittings and clipped off nakago are typical of these swords. They were originally sold with an unlined brown sloth sword bag. I have purchased three of these directly from Korean War vets.
                        Interesting. What is "Japan Sword Co."? Have they also produced in the wartime period?

Comment

Originally posted by ral6014 View Post
                          Interesting. What is "Japan Sword Co."? Have they also produced in the wartime period?
                          Hi
                          I've seen three of these Kai gunto and Shin gunto mix swords, all three were identical and all mint condition, three different sellers by the way and at different times. From what I've been told and read about these swords, they were produced for the G I market after 1945. I would like one for display but I can buy a wartime sword for the same money.
                          All the best
                          Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                            Hi
                            I've seen three of these Kai gunto and Shin gunto mix swords, all three were identical and all mint condition, three different sellers by the way and at different times. From what I've been told and read about these swords, they were produced for the G I market after 1945. I would like one for display but I can buy a wartime sword for the same money.
                            All the best
                            Frank
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=801002

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
                              Hi
                              All the best
                              Frank
                              You´re right. These swords are not cheap. Nevertheless it`s a nice addition to any gunto-collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X