NCO sword thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCO sword thoughts

Came across this sword but wanted some more thoughts on it. I think it's all good but I am still new to japanese swords.
    Not sure what a fair value would be in this one? I have seen a lot of nco swords sell in the $400-700. Range.

Thanks
    Attached Files

More
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Last
            Attached Files

Comment

original.

Comment

It looks good to me, I like the cloth wrap on the scabbard.

Others (Stu especially) could give a better answer but I like it.

Rod

Comment

It match in number ,,thats great.
                  The cloth prevents the sword hanger rattleing against the scabbard. Nice feature.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I liked it. As well. I was not sure why the cloth was there.

Any idea of value? What would be a fair price in it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tighe_n View Post
                      Thanks guys.

I think you were right when you said $400 to $700. The cloth wrap might add a bit of a premium if it's original (your guess is as good as any, looks ok to me). Mostly it's about what you will pay assuming it's not crazy money.

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by tighe_n View Post
                        Thanks guys.

Hi,

You are showing a nice authentic example of a Type 95 IJA NCO sword. It's not the earliest version but would still be considered of early manufacture in the overall time line.

It's an aluminum tsuka (handle), brass tsuba (hand guard) top latch version made but an as yet identity unconfirmed manufacturer for either of the Nagoya Arsenal or the Tokyo First Arsenal while they were still under Kokura administration.

I cannot see the serial number clearly enough to tell but if the numbers are correctly read with cutting edge down then it's from the Tokyo First Arsenal whereas if you have to hold the sword with the blade edge upward to read the serial number then it's from the Nagoya Arsenal. I'm about 99.9% sure it's from Nagoya but perhaps you can confirm that for me as I'm viewing this on a very small screen and can't be positive.

The scabbard drags also differ. I'll attach a photo depicting the two types. The differences are really just in the line with the Nagoya shown at the top being slightly less smooth than the Tokyo version shown below.

If you can get it for 400 USD you have yourself a great deal. At 700 USD it's still a good buy.

Regards,
                        Stu
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like an original Tokyo Arsenal Piece.
                          Your right about screen size Stu, i'm in front of a big one at the moment!
                          I'm pretty sure you can make out the screw that holds the throat onto the scabbard in the last pic, right down on the bottom edge. The orientation would mean a Tokyo scabbard.
                          The Inspection marks on the collar and blade are also Tokyo first, so that makes the Serial numbers 80606..... not 90908!
                          As the numbers match, then $400 is a very good buy IMO, there seems to be less of these getting around lately.

Hope this helps
                          Ern

Comment

i like it the are realy nice in hand

Comment

Originally posted by STEGEL View Post
                              Looks like an original Tokyo Arsenal Piece.
                              Your right about screen size Stu, i'm in front of a big one at the moment!
                              I'm pretty sure you can make out the screw that holds the throat onto the scabbard in the last pic, right down on the bottom edge. The orientation would mean a Tokyo scabbard.
                              The Inspection marks on the collar and blade are also Tokyo first, so that makes the Serial numbers 80606..... not 90908!
                              As the numbers match, then $400 is a very good buy IMO, there seems to be less of these getting around lately.

Hope this helps
                              Ern
                              Thanks Ern. That's why I wasn't sure ... could not see the finer markings on the fuchi or blade on this tiny screen but if it's 80606 then it is indeed a Tokyo piece.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X