Packsaddle part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packsaddle part?

Hi, I recently received this from a tunnel.

I think it is part of a packhorse saddle?

It is adjustable and has various hooks. The place where the padding would have been attached can be seen on the inside of the arc.

Is this identification correct and does anyone have images of it in use or discriptions.

Regards

Steve
    Attached Files

Details
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, looks like parts to a packsaddle:

6. PACK EQUIPMENT. a. General. Great attention has been paid to the development of pack transportation of infantry support guns, namely, models 41 (1908) and 94 (1934) 75-mm mountain pack guns (sec. II, chap. 9), as well as of machine guns, ammunition, supplies, etc. Illustrations on the following pages show in detail pack saddles, draught harness, and an infantry support gun, broken down into loads averaging 200 pounds per load and packed for horse transportation.

b. Pack saddles. Two standard pack saddles are illustrated in figure 327. The saddle is adjustable so that it comfortably fits the back and girth of the horse. Saddle A carries the weapon (such as a heavy machine gun); Saddle B is fitted to hold ammunition or spare-parts chests. (See also figs. 328-334.)
      More configurations at this link.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy. Certainly looks similar. A few years back a tuck load of horse shoes went for scrap, a few hand fulls were grabbed. I'll try and make a display for the museum out of this and some of those.

You never know what will turn up next!

Regards
        Steve

Comment

Yes, for a pack horse as introduced on Oct 16, 1941. "Designated type 97 packhorse equipment for transport troops" .Here the frame and cover
          Attached Files

Comment

Nick Rocks!!!!

If I were the owner of Wehrmacht-Awards.com I would make you a Lifetime Member.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
              Nick Rocks!!!!

--Guy

Comment

Nick Rocks!!!!

--Guy

Comment

Nick Rocks!!!!

--Guy
                  I have a feeling that making you the owner of WAF might be easier to achieve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X