Rare Navy Felt Anchor Wool Field Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Navy Felt Anchor Wool Field Cap

Its been while since I posted anything here so thought I would share my find for this year. Picked up this Super Rare Navy Felt Anchor Wool Field Cap in January of this year on Fleabay. It was a buy it now and came from a "picker" who found this and a white navy field cap at an estate sale. Unfortunately, no other information came with the caps. This is one of only two known to exist in the US, the other owned by another member here. These are normally associated and seen worn by Japanese Naval Landing Forces.

Named to a Seaman First Class Tanaka (Tanaka-田中, Issui 一水) and possibly the unit (Second Harbor 二港), Cap size is 3 (Small) and Dated (April ???) unfortunately the year is very hard to see.

Photo of a Japanese Naval Landing Force Sailor wearing a Navy Felt Anchor Wool Field Cap from my collection.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Very cool, David!

It would be interesting to figure out the exact unit with the 2nd Harbor designation on the tag. There were multiple Harbor Master Offices with numbered designations -- the 2nd Harbor Masters office was located in Balikpapan, but I believe it fell under the admin. control of Kure, not Yokosuka. Pure conjecture, but interesting, imo.

Tom

Comment

Great find David. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Wanted to revisit now that I have time to post more. It's interesting that some of the advanced people thought the other one was bad because the two piece insignia's color did not match the cap. Yours is the same. Hard to see this in just black and white pics. Now we have 2 the same to go off of. Green wool with same insignia as 1st pattern cover. Really great item man. You really scored big with this one!! Thanks again for posting.
              Regards, Scott

Comment

Great find David, fantastic rare item!

Regards

Russ

Comment

Great cap David!

Comment

Congrats mate. Fantastic cap. I want one too , there is more out there for sure.

Thomas

Comment

That's a real beauty Dave, congrats mate.

Comment

Thanks all for the nice comments. This was my #1 holy grail and truly thought I would NEVER find one. I kept my hopes up since the discovery of the last one. As Scott mentioned, the construction is exactly the same as the other one found and pretty much squashed any speculation on color of cap and the construction of the felt anchor and color of the backing.

Tom, thanks for the information

Best, David.

Comment

Congratulations on your great find David!!!

The army-ish features are interesting. Havelock loops and the leather chinstrap aren't things I'd normally associate with a navy cap, not that I know a lot about them. It's always great to learn.

Thanks for posting.

Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X