WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese flag possibly signed by a General, partial translation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese flag possibly signed by a General, partial translation.

Hello everyone,
    I have a nice silk flag that's possibly been signed by a General. I am looking for any conformation of this, or anything else interesting that stands out about this flag. It looks like a pretty good research project. I also noticed in the lower left corner, what appears to be a Kao, or artistic signature. I have never seen one this small before, The ones I have seen have all been bold and proud, this one is very small. If there is anything that anyone can tell me about this flag, please add your input, as it is always welcomed and appreciated. I am also including some pictures the previous owner had when he had the flag partially translated. Thanks so much,

PG-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul G; 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

v
          Attached Files

Comment

v.
            Attached Files

Comment

v..
              Attached Files

Comment

Possible Kao ??

PG-
                Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the general was Lt. Gen. Hideo Hiramatsu. He was active during the Russo Japanese War and earned a 5th class Golden Kite as a 1st Lt. Made Lt. Gen in 1935, but went into reserve at the same time. 2nd class Rising Sun in 1934. See here for his detailed CV http://sakurataro.org/db/%E5%B9%B3%E...8B%B1%E9%9B%84
                  Colonel Tokuichi Nakago was an artillery officer and he made colonel on August 1, 1939.
                  Otherwise names and a few slogans

Comment

I realized that I overlooked the rightmost name, who is also a Lt. Gen, which the seller could not identify. He is Ryosuke Ikari. Pretty much a contemporary of Lt. Gen Hiramatsu. But while Hiramatsu was an infantryman, Ikari was in the artillery. He won the Golden Kite 5th class at the same time as Hiramatsu, when he was captain, but went further to win the 4th class in WW1 as a major. He entered reserve status in 1932 and like Hiramatsu, was given the Rising Sun 2nd class in 1934. See here for his detailed CV http://sakurataro.org/db/%E7%8C%AA%E...BA%AE%E4%BB%8B

Comment

Thank you Nick for your insight. I appreciate the time you took to not only answer the question, but give all the nice details Now I can spend a little time reading and researching. Thanks again, so much!

PG-

Comment

国威宣揚(Kokui Senyou)is the main slogan. Kokui means (National esteem) Senyou means to promote and raise. Together it means to raise and promote the esteem of Japan to the world.

Comment

Thanks for the additional Nick! I couldn't find an exact match in the translation thread you did. Much appreciated!!

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X