Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

japanese Navy calculating instrument

Hello
    Can someone Identify this Japanese navy calculating instrument. Any help will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

one more pic
      Attached Files

Comment

天測計算尺
        Tensoku keisanjaku
        Astronomical observation
        Celestial slide rule

天測 【てんそく】 (n) astronomical observation; shooting the sun
        計算尺 【けいさんじゃく】 (n) slide rule

When I searched the kanji I happened upon this site. I did a search for 天測計算尺 but only got hits for the first two kanji, Tensoku. Each of these three hits had to do with calculating the sun's position on the horizon: a transit, a sextant, and a chronometer. But none of these has that rotating cylinder.

Hmmmmmm.....

I wonder if it fit in a housing like this "Hand-Cranked Calculator" found on the same page:

--Guy

Comment

I was told it was something to do with Japanese torpedo's. I added a few more pics it extends out top and bottom. Maybe someone can come up with an answer. Would never work in a calculating machine it's three pieces.
          Attached Files

Comment

couple more pics
            Attached Files

Comment

naval flight navigational calculation devise

I would like to share with all what this device actually is. The piece is a naval flight navigational calculation devise used in aircraft…its called a positional line slide rule. The army generally used different devises. By WWII it continued in use but was becoming somewhat obsolete and replaced by other better instruments. In the field some remained in use due to no better equipment. If you have the book aviator uniforms and equipment of IJN it's on page 123. Too bad it's in Japanese maybe someone can shed more light on the subject.
              Attached Files

Comment

You MIGHT have 1 of 4 known Japanese Bygraves

[EDIT: The Slide Rule Museum paper (2008) states there are three known Japanese-version Bygrave slide rules known to exist.] You might want to contact Ronald van Riet. I found his contact info on a translator website ronald@van-riet.nl.

Originally posted by Bekora View Post
                I would like to share with all what this device actually is. The piece is a naval flight navigational calculation devise used in aircraft…its called a positional line slide rule. The army generally used different devises. By WWII it continued in use but was becoming somewhat obsolete and replaced by other better instruments. In the field some remained in use due to no better equipment. If you have the book aviator uniforms and equipment of IJN it's on page 123. Too bad it's in Japanese maybe someone can shed more light on the subject.
                Thanks for informing us of your successful research.

The text is too complicated for me to attemp. I did find this:

Bygrave Position-Line Slide Rule. Celestial navigation requires complicated computations. Performing these calculations in cramped open cockpits with low temperatures and wind speeds of over 160 kilometers (100 miles) per hour was part of what made navigation difficult in the early years of aviation. Thankfully, Capt. L. C. Bygrave developed this handy slide rule shortly after World War I. It provided the best shortcut method of speeding up celestial computations at the time.
                source
                Wiki article here

another using same image posted below.
                Cylindrical slide rules even existed. There were two types of slide rules: ones on a helical scale and ones on a bar scale. The advantage of the cylindrical slide rule were that much longer scales could fit on it, allowing for greater precision than circular or linear ones.
                source
                One was sold on Ebay $515.05. link
                "Japanese version of the Bygrave

A Japanese version of the standard Bygrave Mk. II was built. It
                has the same dimensions, the same original cursor design and all
                text seems to be a straightforward translation of the English
                version. Figure 20 shows the example from a German collector who
                wishes to remain anonymous, while [Hems 2004] shows pictures
                of a Japanese Bygrave coming from an American collector {JB},
                identical in lay-out, as is a third Japanese Bygrave known to
                exist. Differences in small imperfections between these three
                prove that they do not depict the same sample, so at least three of
                the Japanese Bygraves have survived. Attempts to contact the
                owners of two of these three Japanese examples have been
                unsuccessful so far.

This Japanese Bygrave does not show any designation or
                manufacturer, the only markings on the top of the slide rule
                are “NO. 872” (which looks to be a serial number)and the Japanese Katakana character "垉” in a circle with an
                anchor sign, which when used in combination was a stamp of
                acceptance by the Japanese naval forces. This does not
                necessarily mean that the Japanese used them on board ships:
                both before and during World War II the Japanese navy had a
                sizeable air fleet, as large as or even larger than that of the
                Japanese army (there was no separate Japanese air force).
                Whether 872 is a serial number in the same series as those of the
                regular Bygraves, is not known.

Again, no production details are known, and nothing is known of
                its history: why the Japanese ordered these, how many were
                built, if they were actually ever delivered to Japan or used in
                actual service."
                Finally ... here's a Slide Rule Museum paper that also addresses the Japanese Bygrave [the Ebay description was culled from this paper].

Cheers!
                --Guy
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bob Chatt; 03-17-2018, 07:06 PM. Reason: put proper email address in post

Comment

I have recently been told about this thread on this interesting slide rule. People who want to contact me directly can use my private email address ronald@van-riet.nl

I have written an extensive paper on this kind of slide rules, please go to https://sites.google.com/site/slider...ne-slide-rules where you can download this paper and a few others on slide rules used in aviation. I would like to include this particular one with the name of the owner in a future update of this paper, but will not include names without explicit permission.

I consider it possible that this is one of the Japanese Bygraves that I have referred to in my paper as the serial number unknown, but I would have to know more about its history before I can positively do that.

The serial number of the Japanese Bygrave that started this discussion is very high and I was surprised to see a number that high, suggesting that more than 1450 of these instruments were built for or in Japan.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thread for more interesting information and if someone has a link to the book (in Japanese) that shows this particular instrument, I would be grateful...

Ronald van Riet

Comment

Originally posted by rvriet View Post
                    I will definitely keep an eye on this thread for more interesting information and if someone has a link to the book (in Japanese) that shows this particular instrument, I would be grateful...

Ronald van Riet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IJN-AVIATOR...-/372147988295

Comment

thanks, I found a much cheaper one on Amazon which I bought, but useful for anyone else interested.
                      Last edited by rvriet; 03-18-2018, 03:31 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X