Chinstrap name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinstrap name

Hi Guys, I got this very nice untouched Japanese combat helmet awhile back now and would like to find out the name stitched on the chinstrap if anyone can help me. Thank you in advance Gentlemen... Regards Johnno.
    Attached Files

Pics

Pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Johnno,

I get Furu-uchi, if it's a name. Read top to bottom which is from right to left in your picture. It means something like 'ancient home'. Pretty straight forward but I'd be interested to hear if I missed something?

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Rod G View Post
        Hi Johnno,

I get Furu-uchi, if it's a name. Read top to bottom which is from right to left in your picture. It means something like 'ancient home'. Pretty straight forward but I'd be interested to hear if I missed something?

Rod
        Rod wins the internet today!

古内
        Furuuchi

In this case, it means inside the ancient/old .
        (Not: uchi means within or inside; uchi/ie means house/family).

Howerver, the etymology of a surname is not always decypherable. It could have been that kanji were applied to a preexisting name/sound. When kanji are "sounding kanji" they are called "ate-ji" [ah-tay jee].

--Guy

Comment

Gentlemen thank you both VERY much regards, Johnno.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            Rod wins the internet today!

古内
            Furuuchi

In this case, it means inside the ancient/old .
            (Not: uchi means within or inside; uchi/ie means house/family).

Howerver, the etymology of a surname is not always decypherable. It could have been that kanji were applied to a preexisting name/sound. When kanji are "sounding kanji" they are called "ate-ji" [ah-tay jee].

--Guy
            Very welcome Johnno.

Thank you Guy! I mucho appreciate the explanation. I'm finding the more I look at kanji certain of them are readable and others familiar but just out of grasp. Although I doubt becoming literate is in the cards I'm happy learning a little often as possible. You're an inspiration!

Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X