Navy Tsuba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy Tsuba

I have a question about a Naval Tsuba.I have noticed that there are variations in the finishing of Tsubas and was wondering if there were custom options or if this was just typical of certain manufacturers.I know some of the larger seppa have alternating rays of different metals or finishes but was this the case also for Tsuba?Some in my collection have the same Blueing (If that is the correct term) coating the entire Tsuba However,I have noticed in the past what I just viewed as "wear" around the outside edge of some Navy Tsuba.This made sense to me because if you lay the sword on a table the Tsuba rests on its edge hence the additional wear and tear on the finish.I recently acquired a very nice Naval Tachi which had the "Wear "I had mentioned before however,on closer examination I noticed the finish had been intentionally removed to reveal the brass beneath the darker finish. it wasn't just buffed off because the lines are as crisp as if it were masked off,This was done on purpose.I was just curious to get some feedback from other members.Thanks,Geoff
    Attached Files

I have 8 kaiguntos, 3 with the same feature as Yours. The others a plain black/blued steel/iron.
    Also the dai-seppas with the sun rays, differ. Some are painted ,other same color/blueing as the tsuba.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
      I have 8 kaiguntos, 3 with the same feature as Yours. The others a plain black/blued steel/iron.
      Also the dai-seppas with the sun rays, differ. Some are painted ,other same color/blueing as the tsuba.
      Hi
      "I have 8 kaiguntos," now I know where all the kaiguntos are
      All the best
      Frank

Comment

Thanks for the reply Gunto. Are the ones you have like mine all solid brass Tsuba or are any steel or iron with gold paint around the rim? Thanks,Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
          Hi
          "I have 8 kaiguntos," now I know where all the kaiguntos are
          All the best
          Frank
          Ups, forgot to count the one on the maniquen. So 9 kaiguntos.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
            Thanks for the reply Gunto. Are the ones you have like mine all solid brass Tsuba or are any steel or iron with gold paint around the rim? Thanks,Geoff
            Yes, solid brass. I have never seen them with gold paint on the rim and dont think You find one either.

Comment

I have never seen one either but I figured if anyone had seen one it would have been you! Thanks,Geoff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
              X