Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaigunto for review

Hi guys
    I'm interested in this Kaigunto and would be grateful for your opinions.
    I can see the seppa are missing and the menuki and tsuba are army and but I really need your advice before I make an offer.
    Thanks in advance
    Frank

WW2 Japanese Naval Officers Sword complete with its original black lacquered scabbard. Plain tsuba and gilt brass mounts. Unsigned wartime made blade. Blade retains much of the original polish. Some areas of lacquer missing to the scabbard but otherwise good example. Blade measures 62 cm approx, total sword length 94 cm.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Phronsias; 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM.

pic

p
    Attached Files

Comment

pic2

p
      Attached Files

Comment

pic4

p
        Attached Files

Comment

poi

p
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Frank,

From what you have told us in other threads your funds are limited (as are those of most of us) so I'd suggest waiting till you get a "textbook" example. I am not a fan of these mixed parts late war pieces. The saya, seppa and ashi of the earlier models are more appealing to me.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Hi Stu
              Yes your right my funds are limited, this sword was at an auction last Tuesday and didn't meet the reserve, so I thought it might be worth a low offer. Would I be right in saying only the blade is Navy and the rest of the parts are army?
              Thanks
              Frank

Comment

"Would I be right in saying only the blade is Navy and the rest of the parts are army?"

IMHO yes.

I've heard them called late war Navy, NLF, Home Defence issue and several other names. They resemble those produced post war, for GIs wishing a souvenir to take home, a little too closely for my tastes. I'm not saying it is post war but it's a Frankensword to my eye and for not a lot more you'll get one that will stand up to any level of scrutiny and hold it's value till the day comes that you wish to sell.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X