X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cautionary tale

Imperial Japan Swords 1868-1945

A cautionary tale

I bought a copy of Imperial Japan Swords 1868-1945 on ebay for $110 (second-hand )

I had no idea there are two types of this books. The book I bought has 160 pages with black and white photographs.

The book I should have bought is "Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945 Cyclopedia Edition" for round about the same price.(new)

I am now in the position, that I own a book that is of little use and my wife will hit the roof if I spend the same money again on this book. So I cant buy the book I need, if I want to stay in one piece

I have posted this because I don't want anyone else making the same mistake.

Regards
    Frank
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Phronsias; 05-02-2015, 05:17 AM.

I have looked through both and I agree, definitely not the same. Sorry to hear, mate, it sucks when a lot of these titles are damn near the same! Maybe you can try reselling to find the former?

Happy Hunting,
    Lev

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post
      I have looked through both and I agree, definitely not the same. Sorry to hear, mate, it sucks when a lot of these titles are damn near the same! Maybe you can try reselling to find the former?

Happy Hunting,
      Lev
      Thanks Lev
      This book isn't readily available in England, Amazon, eBay all sent me to sellers in the States, I tried all the sellers that came up on a Google search, again all sellers were American. One positive thing I didn't have to pay import tax on the useless book I bought
      All the best
      Frank
      Last edited by Phronsias; 05-02-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phronsias View Post
        Thanks Lev
        This book isn't readily available in England, Amazon, eBay all sent me to sellers in the States, I tried all the sellers that came up on a Google search, again all sellers were American. One positive thing I didn't have to pay import tax on the useless book I bought
        All the best
        Frank
        That's true! If any thing, the NMB may have one or two. I know one was on there recently. Will let you know if one comes up, but for a deal! Hopefully the pics are a bit enjoyable!

Lev

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post
          That's true! If any thing, the NMB may have one or two. I know one was on there recently. Will let you know if one comes up, but for a deal! Hopefully the pics are a bit enjoyable!

Lev
          Hi Lev
          After reading, I now think I was too hard on this paperback book, to my surprise, its very interesting. Not $110 interesting but interesting no less
          Regards
          Frank
          Last edited by Phronsias; 05-03-2015, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Frank,In a way,Reading that book will give you a great deal of information you will be able to use if your interest continues in Japanese swords. I don't think there is any such thing as learning too much ! G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
              Frank,In a way,Reading that book will give you a great deal of information you will be able to use if your interest continues in Japanese swords. I don't think there is any such thing as learning too much ! G.
              Hi G
              I'm afraid knowledge comes at a price, in my case $110, when the price on the back of the book is $29.95.
              Regards
              Frank

Comment

Hey Frank,If that book is out of print and a rare book, that may very well be a good deal! I'm not suggesting that is the case but a quick look at the publishing date may give a clue. Regards,Geoff

Comment

Its out of print and its a okay book. Every book as something the otheres lack.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
                    Its out of print and its a okay book. Every book as something the otheres lack.
                    True, this book lacks colour photographs and about 300 pages
                    I began this thread to bring to the attention of potential buyers there are two versions of this book , its a lot of money to pay for a book , especially if your wife finds out you bought the abridged version and you intend buying the book you should have bought in the first place.
                    Regards
                    Frank
                    my son just said " May the 4th be with you"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X