IJN Vice Admiral Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJN Vice Admiral Flag

I'm being offered this IJN admiral's flag and its turning me off a bit. The stitching appears to be good for a multi-construction navy flag, but the brightness of the thread raises some questions. The ropes ties are also not present and the color of the fabric looks off where the rope should pass thur. I hate not seeing this one in person... or
    Flag specs 8 1/2 ft x 5 1/2 ft

Thanks
    Charlie
    Attached Files

Imo ...

Originally posted by charlie1 View Post
    ... IJN admiral's flag ... stitching appears to be good
    ... but the brightness of the thread raises some questions...
    ... 8 1/2 ft x 5 1/2 ft
    Thanks
    Charlie
    Hello Charlie:
    IMO, OK if hand stitched, but can't tell from posted photos.
    So a return should be available upon delivery if problems are found.

OFW
    sigpic
    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

I definitely agree the stitching looks good. The variations in thread count and angle of the stitch look all hand stitched. The amount of time to hand stitch these type of flag is huge. The rising sun also looks the correct proportion to the width. The horizontal line also looks the correct proportion to the flag. It just tricky judging off pictures. Guess I'm a glass half empty guy...
      Last edited by charlie1; 04-29-2015, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I would love to own it

Comment

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME CLOSE UP PICTURES CHUCK LOOKS GOOD FROM HERE . I THINK WE COULD MAKE A SWORD / FLAG DEAL IF YOU GET IT.

Comment

good

I seriously collect japanese naval flags. The stitching on this flag looks totally period. That extra white stitching through red areas of the flag reinforce the cloth panels from wind damage. Feel confident about this flag BUT, there should be a heavy rope through the one end. If that rope is missing that's a real negative. To date I have not seen Japanese reproduction admiral flags. IF someone has seen quality reproductions I'd like to know.

This is my Max Militaria show display, Inert Japanese ordnance and some naval flags.

I really like the Admiral types. The commodore, commander, and senior officer pennants are swallow tail style. Secretary of the navy and patriotic flags with anchor designs are my favorite.

Jim
            JapaneseOrdnance At Yahoo.com

Comment

jim
              i saw your display at the max show and it's great. i talk to you there for about 20 minutes you might remember talking to me. i showed you a nice meatball flag that the center was hand stitched . we both agreed that it was a original war time flag. i pick it up at the show for a $100.00 and now it's hanging in my office.

thanks Bob

Comment

superb !!!

Originally posted by JCB View Post
                I seriously collect japanese naval flags. ...
                Feel confident about this flag ...This is my
                Max Militaria show display, Inert Japanese
                ordnance and some naval flags.

I really like the Admiral types. The commodore, commander,
                and senior officer pennants are swallow tail style. Secretary
                of the navy and patriotic flags with anchor designs are my favorite.
                Jim
                JapaneseOrdnance At Yahoo.com
                Jim:
                Superb collection and show display - bravo !!!
                Reminds me of my own Japanese depth charge
                fragment recovered from the plank deck on the
                5th WW2 patrol of the US Sub Cabrilla SS-288.

OFW
                sigpic
                .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

jim,

Great looking display you have there. When you bringing it back out to a show?

Charlie

Comment

Bob C, Charlie1, Thank you. I do not know if I'll display at this up coming MAX show. This is going to be a busy year for me and there are other priorities. I've been wanting to display at the SOS show but February is a slow month work wise for me, it hard to do that show that time of year.

I don't know when I will be displaying again. I want to, just don't know when. It takes a lot of effort and sometimes the work takes all the fun out of it. I spend the entire day setting up those tables and I risk damaging things when the collection is moved.

Jim

Comment

Figured I'd add a update to this navy flag. Turned out to be a very nice flag. Just goes to show, its hard to judge things by the pictures sometimes. Thanks for all the comments.

Charlie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X