• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW II 70th Anniversary Sale: Camo Helmet

Thoughts on this helmet:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2245...0&w0=list&m0=0

Lot 272
    OKINAWA CAMPAIGN: VERY RARE IMPERIAL JAPANESE ARMY GIRETSU SPECIAL FORCES HELMET, "OPERATION GI-GOU," 24 MAY 1945
    Attached Files

I'll let others chime in on the helmet...(do a search concerning camouflage Japanese helmets)....but if they think they are going to get a $1000.00 for a IJA map case they are dreaming. I don't know where they came up with the estimates.

Comment

I believe this disorder is known as A.R.S. "Antiques Roadshow Syndrome"

Comment

I'd still be interested to see what prices some of this stuff goes for. Guessing stupid high prices...

Comment

Well, on the bright side they do have a nice kamikaze sake set up for bid...

Tom

Comment

This is the third example I've seen. My opinion a GI or Seabee painted souvenir helmet. Give away on all three is the painted flag above star. All the stars did not match the paint scheme
            Last edited by Jareth; 04-29-2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Did anyone else follow that auction? Wow! Looks like there was a minimum on pretty much everything, and like others have written, prices were unrealistic for many of the opening bids. The highlight of my viewing night was the senninbari (touted as being of kamikaze origin and a headband) that went for $8000+. (Mike B - you are sitting on a gold mine with all of the kamikaze/senninbari hybrid belts you have, who would have thought!)

Looks like someone alerted the auction house to the dubious nature of the camo. helmet being legit. camo. – but that didn't stop the bidders. I think one of the few Japanese items that actually went for a decent price was that IJN swallow tail flag, but just mo. I can understand why auction houses of this level put such a crazy buyer’s premium on their lots – half of the stuff doesn’t even sell!

Tom
              Last edited by GeorgeP; 04-30-2015, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
              X