Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

3 Osaka Arsenal Mfg.
      Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Now that's a shell casing!

It looks like the casing was made in September 19XX (I can't make out the Showa date to the right of the "9") at Osaka Army Arsenal (due to the crossed cannon logo). The kanji to the left of the is "SAKA" as in Osaka and is an inspection mark for Osaka Army Arsenal.

If you can take a close-up of the Showa date (to the right of the "9"), I should be able to tell you the year that the casing was made. Likewise, if you can take a close-up of the primer, I should be able to tell you what the markings are for.

Eric

Comment

24cm

Originally posted by Eric Doody
          Bill,

Now that's a shell casing!

It looks like the casing was made in September 19XX (I can't make out the Showa date to the right of the "9") at Osaka Army Arsenal (due to the crossed cannon logo). The kanji to the left of the is "SAKA" as in Osaka and is an inspection mark for Osaka Army Arsenal.

If you can take a close-up of the Showa date (to the right of the "9"), I should be able to tell you the year that the casing was made. Likewise, if you can take a close-up of the primer, I should be able to tell you what the markings are for.

Eric
          Will do.. BILL

Comment

markings

Originally posted by BILL GRIST
            Will do.. BILL
            Eric, Here are some close up picts. of the shell markings. BILL
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for posting the close-up photos of the markings.

In your first close-up photo, the markings are JUU, SAKA, SAKA, and SAKA from right to left. JUU is for the number 10 and is more than likely for Showa 10 which would be 1935 (see note below) while the SAKA, SAKA, and SAKA kanji are inspection marks for Osaka Army Arsenal. (My guess is that this casing went through the arsenal more than once.)

Note: Showa was the reign name chosen by Emperor Hirohito whom came into power in 1925. Thus Showa 13 (or the 13th year of Emperor Hirohito) is the equivalent to 1938 in the Western calendar (i.e., 1925 + 13 = 1938).

The kanji in the second close-up photo are SHO JUUSAN from right to left and top to bottom. SHO is the first part of Showa and JUUSAN is the number 13 for Showa 13 or 1938.

Finally, in the third photo, the primer markings are (clockwise from the four o'clock positon) SHO JUUROKU for Showa 16 or 1941, the numeral 1 for January, the crossed cannon logo for Osaka Army Arsenal, and the kanji SAKA (as in Osaka) inspection mark. I'm not quite sure what the last marking is.

According to two ordnance related reference books that I have, I'm guessing that your casing was for the (Showa) Type 7 (for Showa 7 or 1932) 300 mm (i.e., 30 cm) Short Howitzer. The weight of the projectile is listed as being 680 pounds in one book and 970 pounds in a second book.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your casing with us.

Eric

Comment

Shell

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                    Bill,

Thanks for posting the close-up photos of the markings.

In your first close-up photo, the markings are JUU, SAKA, SAKA, and SAKA from right to left. JUU is for the number 10 and is more than likely for Showa 10 which would be 1935 (see note below) while the SAKA, SAKA, and SAKA kanji are inspection marks for Osaka Army Arsenal. (My guess is that this casing went through the arsenal more than once.)

Note: Showa was the reign name chosen by Emperor Hirohito whom came into power in 1925. Thus Showa 13 (or the 13th year of Emperor Hirohito) is the equivalent to 1938 in the Western calendar (i.e., 1925 + 13 = 1938).

The kanji in the second close-up photo are SHO JUUSAN from right to left and top to bottom. SHO is the first part of Showa and JUUSAN is the number 13 for Showa 13 or 1938.

Finally, in the third photo, the primer markings are (clockwise from the four o'clock positon) SHO JUUROKU for Showa 16 or 1941, the numeral 1 for January, the crossed cannon logo for Osaka Army Arsenal, and the kanji SAKA (as in Osaka) inspection mark. I'm not quite sure what the last marking is.

According to two ordnance related reference books that I have, I'm guessing that your casing was for the (Showa) Type 7 (for Showa 7 or 1932) 300 mm (i.e., 30 cm) Short Howitzer. The weight of the projectile is listed as being 680 pounds in one book and 970 pounds in a second book.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your casing with us.

Eric
                    Eric, Thank you for your translation..Great...Some years ago I measured the shell and it is 24cm.. Here is some information that I got on the 240mm Howitizer shell and GUN.. Enjoy, BILL
                    Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Boy, you learn something new everyday.

The two ordnance related reference books I have skipped right over this piece. (The books went from 150 mm to 300 mm with nothing in between.)

Only 80 of these pieces were produced huh! Boy, that isn't very much.

The weight of the projectile and shell are still up there though...roughly 441 pounds if I did the math right.

Thanks for posting the information on the Type 45 24 cm howitzer.

Eric

Comment

I also got one!

Great shellcase. I have its twin brother. I don't have it in front of me but I recall it's about 16 inches high, 24cm wide, weighs a ton and is also dated 1938 but forget the month. ***If you ever decide to part with it Please let me know!*** I collect Japanese militaria with heavy interest in Japanese navy flags and Japanese ammunition/ordnance. This is a great site, I wish I found it sooner. Also see some familiar names, Hi Eric and Jareth!!! Hopefully I'll see the two of you at a future show. Jim Jbogdan2(at)webtv(dot)net

Comment

Nice bombshell. The artillery casing isn't bad either!

Comment

I agree

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X