Need some help with a translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with a translation

I found this box at an antique shop and I think its for a saki bottle, but i have no idea what it says. Any help from the more knowledgeable members would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Vic
    http://postimg.org/image/ebae6w7st/

It is a box for an incense burner. By the way, it is Sake, not Saki.

Comment

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the misspelling

Comment

Not a question of misspelling for many, as too many read Sake as saki or sakee, it is ke as in kelp. Just so you know how to get the right drink when you need it.

Comment

Well its a little embarrassing for me, because I know the correct spelling. In my excitement over my new find, i didn't proof read my own post. But I appreciate you looking out for me.
          By the way, does the lid give any indication of what kind of incense burner would fit into it so I can keep my eyes open for something that might fit in it?
          Thanks again

Comment

It was a burner featuring rabbits and if I read the first two characters correct (not sure though) it would be a product of Kyoto, so something like the photo below.
            Attached Files

Comment

Buying these boxes for certain content is a futile exercise, as sandalwood boxes were for gift items of some value like vases, tea cups, scrolls and even melons. A sake bottle would not be such a gift.

Comment

fortunately I did not spend too much money for it, so lesson learned. It is not a complete loss for me, because I have a brother that would enjoy it just for what it is.
                If I do see another box for sale, I will be sure to make sure it has its contents and that they belong to the box.

Thanks again for all the help, it was greatly appreciated.
                Vic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X