Help need with signed sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help need with signed sword

I recently came across this sword in a local pawn shop. Can anyone read the kanji on this tang? I believe it is a late war sword. All the parts are stamped with a the number 97. I took pictures of the tang with the bladed oriented up...it is my understanding that is the correct way to read them? Also, as you can see, the pins have been replaced with metal screws. Shouldn't they be bamboo pins? They only go in from one side?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Late war Army Type 3 ... But ... Star stamped ... Gendaito!!!

How much is the seller asking?

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

I already bought it! Enlighten me Stu! What is the significance of Gendaito?

Comment

Stu..I found Richard Stein's website. It was a wealth of information! Can you tell who the maker was?

Comment

That is a fantastic sword. From what I understand, its more common to find Gendaito in this particular style of mounts, as opposed to the more common, other type 3 mounts. I have a twin to this sword, but not sure of your maker. Mine is also the double locking scabbard, which is less often seen. Nice set!

PG-

Comment

Thanks Paul! It came into a local pawn shop. Typical situation...grandson selling grandpa's war trophies and had no interest or understanding of what it was..just wanted cash. The manager calls me whenever he gets military items in the store. He called when this came in. The grandson also brought in an Arisaka Type 99 and bayonet. I passed on those two items..as they were in pretty poor condition. I had to wait 15 days for it to come out of the back room..which was today. I was there when they opened....they were holding it for me!

Comment

Way to go!! Congrats Geoff

Comment

I remember when I first started buying military stuff, the guy walked into a gun show and brought one of those type 3 swords. It looked exactly like yours, painted handle, bolt in the handle... Blade was mint. I bought it I think it was $500, while I was still dealing with a vet's son, another dealer (who is well known Japanese sword dealer, I am not going to say his name) saw the sword. After the guy left he approach me( and he knew me and knew I was green in the field of Japanese swords) told me how vet painted the handle, put a bolt in the handle, how everything is wrong with this sword... BUT he will help me out and give me 600 for it so he can use it for parts!!! So me trusting a well known dealer and 40 years my senior, I sold him a sword thanking him for helping me out. Few weeks later after doing some research I find out how uncommon this swords are I was not too happy. But I knew this was a school we all had to go through when you first start collecting.

I am sorry about my story here where you were showing your sword, but it just brought that memory back.

Great sword, and even what is much better is a star blade.

Comment

竹内兼正
                  Takeuchi Kanemasa
                  This surname can be pronounced either "Takeuchi" or "Take-no-Uchi"

昭和十八年三月
                  Shōwa jū hachi-nen gatsu
                  March 1943

10th Kanemasa from the top of this page.

--Guy

Comment

Thanks Guy I appreciate the info.

Comment

It has to be screws as mekugi on that edition of type 3.

Nice sword, I think You got it for a very nice price.

Comment

Forgot to add "san" for three.

昭和十八年三月
                        Shōwa jū hachi-nen SAN gatsu
                        Shōwa 18 Year 3d Month
                        March 1943

Comment

Nice sword
                          I collect star stamped blades
                          If you ever want to sell it let me know
                          Does anyone know why most of these blades come in type 44 mounts?
                          Is it that the star stamp system came out at the same time as the mounts??

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                          X