Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"confident looking commandos of the Giretsu Kūteitai"
    source

Wish I could find a clear photo of the sword pocket being used.

Comment

Too bad it's just a wakizashi!

japanese commando captain Mitio Okuyama, he commanded the Giretsu Kuteitai an airborne special forces unit of the Imperial Japanese Army formed from Army paratroopers, in late 1944 as a last-ditch attempt to reduce and delay Allied bombing raids on the Japanese home islands. On the night of 24 May 1945, sixteen Ki-21 planes were dispatched for a strike, each with 14 commandos. Eight were assigned to Yontan and four to Kadena, with four more aircraft in reserve. Four aircraft aborted the mission with engine problems, and four more were shot down, however five managed to crash-land at Yontan airfield during the confusion caused by a diversionary attack by some 50 IJAAF and IJN bombers and fighters.
      The 69 surviving raiders, armed with type 100 submachine guns and phosphorus grenades then wreaked havoc on the supplies and nearby aircraft, destroyed 70,000 gallons of fuel killed 5 american soldiers and ten aircraft, and damaging 29 more before being annihilated by the defenders
      source

Comment

Combat carry.

source

Comment

The stand You made is IMO more for a traditional samurai sword. But nice work a simple black wood stand would fit nicer.

I would display it as katana since it has inly one ashi.

Kaigunto,kyugunto for navy and army ,I would display as tachi , with edge down.

Comment

Hi
            Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I had to buy the antlers from ebay, (I would have liked bigger with more branches) and the base is hardwood (mahogany) I wanted a heavy wood to counter the weight of the sword.
            Thanks again
            Frank
            PS I'd very much like to see your sword stands

Comment

Correction. Since the shingunto is based on tachi ,its still okay to display edge down IMO.

Comment

Thanks
                One word "Stunning"
                wonderful display
                Frank

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post

Correction. Since the shingunto is based on tachi ,its still okay to display edge down IMO.
                  gunto
                  You've got nice collection there.

Comment

Hello Gunto,When you get sick of looking at that Hideous Kyu Gunto in the middle please let me know! The blossoms are a nice touch.

Regards,Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                      Hello Gunto,When you get sick of looking at that Hideous Kyu Gunto in the middle please let me know! The blossoms are a nice touch.

Regards,Geoff
                      Hi Geoff
                      Have you posted any pics of how you display your swords?
                      Regards
                      Frank

Comment

Hello Frank,I don't have any photos of my nicer sword stand but here are a couple of older pictures of a cheapo stand that doesn't take up much room you can find them online I just use it to store my swords until I can do my "War Room" In the first photo 1 up from the bottom you can see another example of the "Navy/Army single Ashi, laquer Saya,Stainless blade with snapped off tang and painted bench numbers
                        which has since moved on.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Geoff
                          I said the F word out loud when I opened this thread and saw your pics
                          Wonderful array of swords.I like the last ditch NCO sword
                          Thanks for posting
                          Frank

Comment

Homemade kake.

Comment

Homemade kake.

Hi and thanks for posting
                              Looks fantantic
                              Regards
                              Frank

Comment

Very Nice Gunto Not one but TWO of the Very hard to find Tsuka retaining cords!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X