Dog Tag Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog Tag Questions

This is a recent purchase from the big auction site, origin Russia. It measures 1 1/4" wide X 1 3/4" high. The unit code is 15502, company 3, soldier 36 if I'm reading it correctly.

I'm slightly sceptical of its authenticity but not entirely. I'm not sure I've seen brass "stained" like this before, its definitely some kind of corrosion. The roman numbers are unusual too but they read as a normal dog tag would, parent unit first, etc. Maybe a 'Last ditch' tag if it passes the sniff test?

I'm interested in any opinions you guys have (this is my first dog tag). It would be great to hear if there is a unit with this number!

Thanks so much, Rod
    Attached Files

Well, all I have owned and seen had the numbers in kanji so I'm inclined to think it's not an IJA tag.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

I guess the "never say never" approach could fit here, but there is a lot working against this tag in my opinion. Pretty easy to come across a blank tag and have a set of Arabic numeral stamps then force age it. The unit is real: 15502 for the 64th Ind. Motor Transport Batt. under the Kwangtung Army in Manchuria. Like Stu, I have only seen kanji stamped numbers on tags. Until further evidence comes to light that something like this was done late in the war, etc., I personally would identify this as a fantasy piece. Always open to new information though.

Tom

Comment

Thank you guys!

Tom, that's great information and much appreciated. Even if it's been faked its the right size and shape to fill a gap in my collection for now so I'm not unhappy with it (it went cheap).

The thing that unsettled me most is the weird corrosion that is probably mean't to be forced aging but will have to go along with you guys on the roman numbers too. In all likelihood then a messed with blank tag and nothing you haven't seen before. I do like that a real unit used this number.

Regards, Rod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X