HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please with translation of these tags!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please with translation of these tags!

I recently acquired a large lot of WWII USMC gear. The only piece of Japanese militaria was a single leather glove, which I am assuming would have been issued to an officer.

There are two tags inside. Could anyone provide a translation for me?

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files

Tag 2

I appreciate all replies!
    Attached Files

Comment

Navy glove. could be flight. not a pattern I've seen. is the pinky finger riped? Without the other missing glove little collector value

Comment

Thank you Jareth. I didn't expect it to have any value. I just hoped to find out if it was dated or named from the tags.

Comment

William I don't want to sound rude. Sorry about that. I can tell you the glove wasn't exclusively officers but used by all ranks. The hand inked kanji is likely owners name. I do see the number 3. The other tag is the manufacturers tag with company logo. As I mentioned it's not a typical pattern flight glove. Actually quite unusual

Comment

One of the names:

竹本
            Takemoto

I can't read the other side and can't tell if it is a given name or surname -- or something else. Sorry --

--Guy

Comment

Jareth,

Absolutely no offense taken! I appreciate the help very much.

Guy,

Thank you for the translation.

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                One of the names:

竹本
                Takemoto

I can't read the other side and can't tell if it is a given name or surname -- or something else. Sorry --

--Guy
                Guy
                Do you think if it's possible 三 and 三(on top of the 年)年 十一月 十一日(added)?
                But 昭和33年 is 1958 though...
                Is 橫須賀軍需所 still runs on 1958?
                Or 竹本三昔?Looks a few possible here...
                Last edited by bangbangsan; 04-02-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bangbangsan View Post
                  Guy
                  Do you think if it's possible 三 and 三(on top of the 年)年 十一月 十一日(added)?
                  But 昭和33年 is 1958 though...
                  Is 橫須賀軍需所 still runs on 1958?
                  Or 竹本三昔?Looks a few possible here...
                  Hi Bangbangsan,

It does look like 三昔 or 三ノ昔 ..... or is the used just to cross out the ? Anyway, I get no results when I google those.

And I don't think it is part of the date. Since the owner wrote his name in the "size" box, don't think he'd then be correct and put the issue date in the "manufacture date" box.

A mystery.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by bangbangsan View Post

Is 橫須賀軍需所 still runs on 1958?...
                    橫須賀軍需

No, it closed in 1945, was occupied by US Forces, then returned to Japan in 1946:
                    戦後、軍需部等軍の施設は進駐してきた米軍が使うことになり閉鎖されたが、1年足らずで日本に返され、昭和 21年には、東京湾倉庫(後に相模運輸倉庫)、 その後、大洋漁業、横須賀メリヤス工場などの民間会社が旧海軍施設に進出し操業をはじめた。長浦は、軍港長 浦から平和産業の会社などのある新しく活気のあ る町となったが、現在は、捕鯨禁止の影響をうけ大洋漁業が去り、その後横須賀メリヤス工場もなくなった。付 近は海上自衛隊や米海軍に使用され、一部横浜ベ イスターズ球場などになっている。
                    source
                    After the war the munitions unit, and similar military facilities, was closed and used by the US military which had been stationed there. It was returned to Japan in less than a year, in 1946, Tokyo Bay warehouse (afterwards the Sagami transportation warehouse), and then, ocean fishing, private companies such as Yokosuka hosiery factory began to advance to operations in the former naval facility. Nagaura, which became a newly vibrant town from naval port Nagaura, such as peace industry. Now, affected by the whaling ban, the fishing industry died as did the Yokosuka hosiery/knitting factory. The vicinity is used by the Maritime Self-Defense Force and the US Navy, and one part is used Yokohama Bay Isutazu baseball stadium.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                      Hi Bangbangsan,

It does look like 三昔 or 三ノ昔 ..... or is the used just to cross out the ? Anyway, I get no results when I google those.

And I don't think it is part of the date. Since the owner wrote his name in the "size" box, don't think he'd then be correct and put the issue date in the "manufacture date" box.

A mystery.

--Guy
                      I think you're right,the 一 should be cross out the 年。Maybe Nick can tell if it's 三昔 or some thing else。

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X