BAYONET FROG in PIGSKIN???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAYONET FROG in PIGSKIN???

I thought this seemed a bit odd to me...appears to be pigskin. Now, I've seen pigskin used on odd bits of field equipment, and I "believe" in helmet liner pads, but don't think I've come across a bayonet frog made ENTIRELY of what I believe to be pigskin. It has a very heavy, creased graining, (however, not the typical "dot" type pattern you sometimes see). Pigskin has varied textures, and as far as I can tell, I think this is one of 'em....A few pix below for your perusal, and thanks for any comments.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

They're around. I have a few

Comment

Interesting Jared, can't say as I've ever had another one, and I've had a LOT of Japanese bayonets w/ frogs over the years...Would you consider them to be common? From my experience at least, I'd say not. Can you post a pic or two of your variants? Be interesting to compare notes. Thx.

Comment

I'd say uncommon. Consider all the types of leathers used as well as cloth variants & they are just less encountered. My bayonet collection is in storage at this moment

Comment

True...I once had a combination leather AND cloth variant..(single cloth belt loop w/ leather face) that was quite interesting....Wish I had a photo of it to share.

Comment

I would tend to agree with Helmet liners. Although the grain may be different on different parts of the hide I would imagine later on you would have to use any type of leather you could get your hands on, for whatever it could be used for. I believe the liner on this Showa 16 marked liner is pig skin however,I am not a leather expert. Can anyone confirm this liner is indeed pig skin?
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that would be pig skin. The 1939 Army specs for the liner allowed use of pig skin for the liner body among a total of 5 different cow leather grades.

Comment

THAT’s what I’m talking about regarding liner pads, however I’ve not had any other bayonet frogs made entirely of pigskin. The texture on the liner pad shown is very similar to the texture on my frog.

Comment

I've got a pair of pig skin IJA boots stamped 1941 on the soles, it's a pretty common material. Why not a bayonet frog? May be a bit of a curiosity but I wouldn't pay extra for one.

Rod

Comment

Well, considering in all the years I’ve collected, and in all that time, have had many, many, Japanese bayonet rigs, I don’t ever recall having come across another one made entirely of pig skin. I don’t think I’d go out of my way to pay “extra” for one, per se, but from the standpoint of material variations alone, I think it’s a pretty uncommon one in this context. Thx for commenting, gents.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X