Japanese Helmet Translation please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Helmet Translation please

Had a decent show this weekend, picked up this decent Japanese helmet, a what I believe to be a O.S.S. expandable baton! Can anyone translate what is left of the kanji on rim, its bracketed by red symbols that may have been added by the world renown BUBBA!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it could be Shimabara or Harashima, depending on which way it was written ... probably Harashima:

原島
      Harashima

島原
      Shimabara

With the helmet size (small) in the center

--Guy

Comment

Helmet

Thanks Guy!

Comment

小 & 岛 for sure.原 is make sense too.
          But also possible 東?

Comment

Originally posted by bangbangsan View Post
            小 & 岛 for sure.原 is make sense too.
            But also possible 東?
            Hi ... yes! Quite possibly "East" as well:

東島
            Tōjima

In cases like this -- with faint paint -- I would trust your instinct more since you are a native-writer of Chinese characters. Things just look more right to your's, Nick's, & Shindenkai's eyes than mine since kanji/hanja is totally foreign to me.

Thanks!

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
              Hi ... yes! Quite possibly "East" as well:

東島
              Tōjima

In cases like this -- with faint paint -- I would trust your instinct more since you are a native-writer of Chinese characters. Things just look more right to your's, Nick's, & Shindenkai's eyes than mine since kanji/hanja is totally foreign to me.

Thanks!

--Guy
              Guy
              You're doing very good job on identify Kanji!
              Is 東島 pronounced HIGASHIJIMA when use as last name?

Comment

Any markings on the collapsable baton? FYI, it could be Japanese (post-war).
                The concept of Expandable Batons originated in the Orient. The first commercially
                available weapons of this type were the Tokushu Keibo manufactured by the Nobel
                Company in Tokyo, Japan, and the Ni Baton designed by Professor Ni of the Central
                States Police College in Taipei.

The Nobel baton was widely distributed in Japan, being used by both the Tokyo
                Metropolitan Police Department and the National Railroad Police.

source
                Quoting Donn F. Draeger [if you're a martial arts historian, his name will mean something to you]

"The most recent development in police combat arts involves the use of a weapon called
                the tokushu keibo, or special police club. This is a collapsible tubular truncheon made of metal
                alloy; because of the rapid manner in which this truncheon can be extended from its fully
                telescoped position, it is also referred to as tobi-dashi jutte, or "jump-out truncheon." The tokushu
                keibo appeared in 1961, at which time it underwent a five-year period of study by various police
                technical commissions. Essential in its development were the police combat instructors Shimizu Takaji,
                Kuroda Ichitaro, and Kaminoda Tsunemori...."

Newer version:

--Guy

Comment

Any markings on the collapsable baton? FYI, it could be Japanese (post-war).
                  Quoting Donn F. Draeger [if you're a martial arts historian, his name will mean something to you]

"The most recent development in police combat arts involves the use of a weapon called
                  the tokushu keibo, or special police club. This is a collapsible tubular truncheon made of metal
                  alloy; because of the rapid manner in which this truncheon can be extended from its fully
                  telescoped position, it is also referred to as tobi-dashi jutte, or "jump-out truncheon." The tokushu
                  keibo appeared in 1961, at which time it underwent a five-year period of study by various police
                  technical commissions. Essential in its development were the police combat instructors Shimizu Takaji,
                  Kuroda Ichitaro, and Kaminoda Tsunemori...."

Newer version:

--Guy

Guy
                  Learned a lot from person with lot Knowledge from this forum like you & Nick,Stu ... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bangbangsan View Post
                    Guy
                    You're doing very good job on identify Kanji!
                    Is 東島 pronounced HIGASHIJIMA when use as last name?
                    Thank you, I try to help when I can. 東島 can be pronounced either Tōjima or Higashijima, depending on the family.

Comment

Thank you, I try to help when I can. 東島 can be pronounced either Tōjima or Higashijima, depending on the family.

I see,Thank you!

Comment

Helmet

Thanks guys for info, the baton is pretty much textbook O.S.S. completely unmarked

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
                          Thanks guys for info, the baton is pretty much textbook O.S.S. completely unmarked
                          Steve, this is new to me ... do you have a link or citation referencing the OSS use for my files? Everything I could find dates it to the early 1960s.

Many thanks,
                          --Guy

Comment

"Blitz" [Lightening]

I've answered my own question ... kinda-sorta. It seems the stahlrute [steel baton] was a Sicherheits Polizei (SIPO) article of issue:
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...6&postcount=12
                            [EDIT: further reading of that thread: the expandable baton was commercially available, not a SIPO article of issue; anyone could buy one. One commenter thinks they were produced since the 1920s.]

Ca. 1932 catalogue:

--Guy
                            Last edited by GHP; 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Baton

You might be right Ive emailed the O.S.S. society as it did come in with a textbook O.S.S. stilletto with the metal spatula type tip to scabbard. We will see, didnt pay much for it, but found one auction house records, thats it so far.
                              Well we will find out, the president of the O.S.S. society is looing at the photos now! He advised yes they used the spring baton or "cosh"
                              Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 03-30-2015, 06:39 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X