Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese officers sword for review

Hi again
    I hope you don't think I'm a pest, I am looking for a Japanese officer sword and really could do with your help please.
    This is a sword from the same seller I bought the NCO sword from. If you could give me any information and the value, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance
    Frank
    Attached Files

pic

p
    Attached Files

Comment

pic4

p
      Attached Files

Comment

pic2

p
        Attached Files

Comment

WWII-era officer mounts. That's all I can tell without seeing the nakago [tang]. Others will be able to tell if it is non-traditionally made, oil quench, etc.

We really need to see the nakago to see if it is named/dated.

Regards,
          --Guy

Comment

Not traditionally made. Seppas are switched or missing. Ask for more photos.

Comment

Originally posted by gunto View Post
              Not traditionally made. Seppas are switched or missing. Ask for more photos.
              Hi
              This is a link to the dealer http://www.spandaumilitariashop.com/...fficers-sword/

Product Information

AN EXTREMELY GOOD CONDITION HIGH QUALITY OFFICERS SWORD. UNTOUCHED BRASS WORK TO THE HILT. BOUND GRIP WITH SHARK SKIN PANELS. GILDED TSUBA. WOODEN SCABBARD WITH BROWN LEATHER FIELD COVER. ONLY FAULT ON THE SWORD, THE LEATHER CLOSING TAB FROM THE HILT TO THE SCABBARD ABSENT, DRIED AND BROKEN OFF. MINT 710 MM LONG BLADE. THE YOKOTE LINE TO THE TIP CLEAR AND WELL DEFINED TO BOTH SIDES. STRONG HAMON LINE AND MILKY HA. SHINOGI IS CRISP. COMPLETE WITH CLOTH FIELD KNOT WITH TWO TASSELS. THE BLADE IS SIGNED, NOSHU JU IDO HIDETOSHISAKU. - MADE IN THE RESIDENT OF IDO. WITH A SHOWA STAMP AND RED LACQUER. HIDETOSHI IS A SWORD MAKER MENTIONED IN HAWLEYS AND SLOUGHS SWORDSMITH BOOK , PAGE 33.

THIS SWORD COMES WITH ITS ORIGINAL SURRENDER CARD WRITTEN IN JAPANESE AND ENGLISH. GIVES THE MAKER DETAIL OF THE SWORD, CIRCA 1900 AND THE JAPANESE SOLDIER WHO OWNED. IT. FOUR PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE SWORD BEING SURRENDERED, THESE IN SNAP SHOT SIZE, AND HAVE LARGE COPIES HAVE BEEN MADE. HISTORIC EXAMPLE OF A FINE QUALITY WW2 JAPANESE SWORD WHICH HAS BEEN PRESERVED IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION

Thanks
              Frank

Comment

That, in my view,is a highly over rated description and the price is over the top. Missing fittings, low grade tsuba and at best average condition.

If you remain patient you will get a textbook Type 98 or Type 3 for half that price.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Frank,

You better run an Advanced Search on that dealer under his current name then on his previous dealer name which you will find in some of the threads. Buyer beware.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Be careful too not to assume that a wavy hamon means a great sword. Hamon can be applied in several different ways including by acid etching. I don't believe that's the case here but just be aware the nakago will tell you more about a sword than will the hamon in many cases.

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

As has been said its a machine made oil quenched blade in poor fittngs the nakago will not tell us anything the blade has not already done

Comment

Don't rush it Frank, something better will come along for a lot less than this one.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Yes,like what Stu said :If you remain patient you will get a textbook Type 98 or Type 3 for half that price.

Comment

Hi
                            Thanks for your advice, I do appreciate it.
                            Regards
                            Frank

Comment

Incredibly overpriced original, but low-grade, sword. You can get a Gendaito for much less than that!!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X