Rising sun flag ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rising sun flag ?

I picked this up recently. It is cotton, multi piece and appears to be machine sewn with no marks. It measures 15 3/4 x 24 with a canvass end that seems to be made to attach to a pole or rod. What are your thoughts ?
    Attached Files

flag

flag
    Attached Files

Comment

With the orb being offset I believe it to be Navy rather than Army however that is a very small flag and I think it was made for display rather than an issued military flag. Regardless, it will still look good behind a Kai-gunto or other items in a display case!

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

A very poor attempt. Nowhere close to being a naval flag or a Japanese flag for that matter. The orb has to be half the height of the flag, if it is supposed to be for Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
          ... The orb has to be half the height of the flag ...
          Good to know. Thanks.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Rising sun flag

So I take it that this is a reproduction ?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              Good to know. Thanks.

Regards,
              Stu
              Thanks for the info Nick, I agree, good to know. were small orb flags made up ones? or more of a non-standard, but legit item? I am not talking about the flag that started the post, but rather these other styles.

PG-
              Attached Files

Comment

Naturally, official flags must comply with flag regulations. Just as the Star Spangled Banner has a given number of stars and stripes, the navy flag needs to have proportions of the width being 1.5 times the height, the orb diameter half the height, orb off center by one sixth the width, etc, etc. I stressed this, because a lot of people associate multi-piece construction with official navy flags, but the navy would never accept this flag, because it is illegal. The many "flags" that appear on this forum are actually not flags at all, but "unauthorized flag-like decorations strictly of a civilian commercial nature" made by enterprising people. They may have the orb centered or offset, but as they were never meant for use by the navy nor the army, there is not much point in hairsplitting and calling these civilian decorations army or navy. I listed all the official navy flag sizes in another thread; anything smaller is always commercial. By the way, in the case of the normal meat ball national flag, the orb is bigger with diameter at three fifths of the height of the flag, a rule that Tojo flags also ignore.

Comment

Rising sun flag

Thank you for your comments and knowledge. So what I have is more than likely a period made commercial and non-military issue flag ?

Comment

Actually I think yours is simply too labor-intensive to make sense as a commercial flag, so something like a girl's school project is more likely. Like a gift for a comfort bag to send out to a family member in the field. Check it under a black light, but I do think that only a pre-45 situation would give birth to such a misguided and uneconomical effort.

Comment

Rising sun flag

I will agree if indeed a forgery it seems that quite a bit of work and effort was put into this. I will get ahold of a blacklight and see if it glows.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X