The SOS is here! Give us the scoop!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SOS is here! Give us the scoop!!

I know SOS dealer set up is well under way and some nice stuff has most likely traded hands already. Let us know what you find this year! Pics. greatly appreciated!

Oh, and probably a shot in the dark but what the heck: Last year an unknown buyer was having two pickers scour the Japanese tables looking for and picking up Japanese techo, or as many people call them, pay booklets (see my avatar pic.) If you happen to notice something like this again this year, I would be very interested in hearing about it. Thanks!

Tom
    Last edited by GeorgeP; 02-25-2015, 10:27 PM.

I do not remember seeing in Techos on this day, but I did find a great document.

I bought an Order of the Rising Sun 2nd Class document from 1918 signed by Emperor Taisho. The price was very good on this hard to find piece, though condition was a little rough - $300. The document was not even on the guys table, we just started talking and he said he had one under the table. It will be a nice addition to my collection. I am hoping to find some more deals tomorrow.

Comment

Nice! I would love to get the "entire set" so to speak of Emperor signed award documents. Good luck in the hunt!

Tom

Comment

I scored an un issued Summer tankers helmet and a super clean Naval Tachi only a few nice T 90s we will see what happens today!!

Comment

japanese ordnance? Unusual Japanese flags?

Anybody see any unusual Japanese ordnance or unusual japanese flags? Odd grenades, Mines, inert bombs? etc.... Damn I wish I was there!

Jim
          JapaneseOrdnance at Yahoo.com

Comment

I picked up a nice Navy sword belt and very nice Army sword belt with the larger hanger links off of Eric. Wasn't as many deals this year in my opinion, but there was some very quality pieces out there. Felt like there was more Japanese dealers last year than this year.

Charlie

Comment

The SOS Has Come and Gone.....

I wanted to make a few comments on the SOS, and leave some running commentary on the items I saw offered this year: For the sword collector, there were quite a few examples available. There were plenty of War era NCOS swords as well as a few War made officer's blades. In addition, there were some nice offerings of nihonto, but not an over supply. I did not see a lot of dog tags, although quite a few people asked me where Tom P. and his tags/ techo were this year! Tom, you were missed! Also, not a lot of medals for sale, but I did see a number of navy ratings badges (first and second class). One dealer had a collection of 13 ratings badges for sale that were snatched up quickly. Another dealer had 4 army pilot's badges for sale. All told, I probably saw 8 of those; no navy ones that I saw. I also saw some great army and navy flight helmets, both early and later war. Not many goggles available, however. There were some good luck flags, but not as many as I normally see. Also, there were a few senninbari for sale. I saw perhaps 2 stitched caps as well as a stitched vest that I know sold. As for headgear, there were a number of army and navy field caps, including one very early felt example from the army. I saw maybe 3-4 complete navy brass anchor helmets, one steel anchor helmet that lacked a liner, with broken prongs, a couple of stencil anchor helmets, and maybe a dozen army helmets. Prices ranged from 400.00 up to around 950.00 for some of the army helmets. There was another navy stencil anchor helmet that was complete, but had some souvenir painting that was added by the vet, offered at 1,100.00. I also noticed one army helmet with cover and net offered at 2,500.00. There were also a couple of navy helmet covers as well as an army variety for sale. Another dealer had a few navy round ratings for sale, including a rare Red Cross navy rating patch. I saw a few pocket patches, but not many. The gun guys seemed to be happy too. I saw a grandpa nambu for sale and plenty of type 14's. some of the guys reported that there were quite a few knee mortars, although, to be honest, I didn't see any. Oh, and I nearly forgot, there was an army and a navy cherry blossom helmet, both with nearly complete liners that changed hands. There seemed to be a pretty active crowd, but I did hear that the volume of people entering the venue, was down. Most of the dealers I spoke with or overheard, however, seemed to have done well, and were looking forward to the MAX. There was some ordnance for sale, but I did not hear of anything too special. I did see a few tank rounds, the usual grenades, and a couple of land mines. There were a few knee mortar rounds, but not too many of the heavy mortar rounds. Hope this post helps y'all.

MikeB

Comment

Thanks Mike B and everyone else who has contributed so far to the thread, I appreciate it! I wish I could have set up this year, but alas... I will be back in DC in late summer for language training though, and I am hoping to make the MAX, among other shows. One question Mike: did Greg B. set up this year? Did he have anything unusual for sale?

Tom

Comment

The SOS...

Hi Tom-
                  Man, your life has been a whirlwind of activity! The language school sounds awesome. To your question; yes, Greg was there and had a table in the side room. I bumped into him a few times, walking the floor with his son. I never did see him at his table, however, while walking the floor, so I never stopped to chat, or to take a look at what he was offering. Sorry.....Safe travels.

MikeB

Comment

Thanks, Mike! I figured I would ask since Greg had some neat stuff the last time around.

Tom

Comment

my take on the show this year. i had a good show alot of the stuff i was going to bring to the show i sold 6 weeks before the show.

but what i did bring also sold most of it on friday and saturday. there were a lot of tire kickers but that is mormal. if i had a serious buyer we would negotiate on the price and i always made the sale.

there was a officers sword dealer set up next to me martin zalonis. he had a large selection of quality swords and his sales were good. i came very close to buying a sword from him.

my big problem was i was looking for a army officers sword with a shark skin scabbard. they are rare but i have 2 in my collection already love them.

i was fortunate enought to spend time with doctor mike. he sold out of all the books that he brought to the show. so i think he had a good show he help me pick up 3 senninbari one with a rare shrine stamp on it. that one will be going to doctor mike collection soon.

there are deals to be maid there you just have to put in the time to look for them and negotiate the price. it not true that all the good stuff gets sold the frist 2 days. dealers are puting new stuff on there tables every day. i did not pick up my 3 senninbari till friday afternoon. mr. zalonis sold his best officers sword on saturday around 1:00 pm

i'm going to try to get my pictures posted today. they will be in with the sos pictures. looking for the 2016 max show i was told it's almost sold out already.
                      Last edited by BOB C; 03-03-2015, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I had a great show, Talked to a lot of old friends, sold some parts, and bought some things. I can't find a way to post pictures on this site. I bought a dewat T-10 knee mortar, a 50 mm sectioned KM round, two 50 mm KM pouches, a baby Nambu mag, a T-14 holster, a T-38 rifle squad cleaning kit, a rifle oil bottle for the rear pouch, 3 rare bayonets, T-10 grenade fuse box, a nickeled T-14 cleaning rod and a T-47 Siamese carbine. I always have a great time and find some treasures.

Comment

Welcome to WAF, Don! Fyi, you need to join up as an Association member to post pics.

Tom

Comment

The SOS....

Hello Bob-
                            It was great spending time chatting with you, and walking the floor a bit. Yes, you found some nice senninbari, and I'm sure the one with the hand painted tiger will soon find a new home, once you decide to sell it! Glad to hear that you had a nice show as well. Take good care...

MikeB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X