School me on IJA collar tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on IJA collar tabs

Could someone please tell me the earliest known year that collar tabs were used in the IJA as compared to the shoulder insignia/collar flash deals? 1938? 39? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

According to Mike Hewitt's book , 'Uniforms and Equipment...' the Type 98 uniform became available for use in 1938. The T98 collar tabs are the only rank patches that can be applied to that uniform given the previous model Type 5 are shoulder mounted. I think that may be your answer although it's not to say the T5 didn't continue in use for some period after. There are pics where troops in the same unit are wearing a combination of both model uniforms.

Regards, Rod

Comment

Thanks, Rod!

Tom

Comment

The Type 5 is also seen with the type 98 uniform rank and branch insignia.

I seem to recall having seen a photo of an IJA soldier in type 98 tunic but with the type 5 (or 45) overcoat (Trench coat). this might cause a little confusion if your looking at an unclear picture.

Also the Tropical tunic (1st and 2nd pattern) had the shoulder insignia. (P188 of Mike Hewitt's book)

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
          Thanks, Rod!

Tom
          Very welcome!

Comment

Hey Paul, thanks!

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X