Help of translation of the tang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help of translation of the tang

I got offered this sword, but it looks modern to me. I do not have many pictures, but they send me some pics if the tang. So any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Regards Rajko
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello Raijko,

Please show the full tang. From what I'm seeing, the engraving looks like it was done with a modern round-point electrical engraving tool. I do not know if my assumption is accurate because the photos are not so crisp. The date looks funny:

...国大連陳朝波乙酉年
      koku Dailian ..... Rooster Year.

Probably the missing kanji is Chu for 中国 Chukoku [China] because that is where Dailian is; they make some good-quality blades for modern iaido practicioners. I've used some for test-cutting that would have made good gunto.

An overall view of the tang will give our collectors more of the "pie" to judge, not just a slice.

-Guy
      Last edited by GHP; 02-21-2015, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Chinese-Made Blade

"Wood Rooster Year" is 2005.
        source
        2005 平成17 乙酉

By the way, I can now see vestiges of the kanji that the hole has obliterated. The entire legend is:

中国大連陳朝波乙酉年
        Zhōngguó Dàlián Chén Cháobō Yǐyǒu Nián
        China, Dailian, Chen Chaobo, Rooster Year

Chen [family name]
        Chaobo [Morning Wave]

Dalian/Dairen [Port Arthur] makes some good quality Japanese-style martial arts-grade swords for iaido and test-cutting. Some American importers [SwordStore] actually contracted with Japanese sword furniture makers in Seki to ship handles/scabbards to Dalien to be fitted to the "samurai-style" swords, then exported to the USA. I tested about four of the different blades and found they cut well. BUT, these are "Gunto-quality" swords and may NOT be imported to Japan. In Japanese a real sword is called "shin-ken"; we jokingly called these "Chin-ken" because they were Chinese-made swords, [or, was it because they were made by Paul Chen of Hanwei Forge???]. Or .... was it some guy who used to work for Paul, then went into business on his own .... it's been over 10 years, so I forgot the details.
        IF this were a Japanese sword [which it is NOT], the maker's name 朝波 would be pronounced AsaNami.

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          Hello Raijko,

Please show the full tang. From what I'm seeing, the engraving looks like it was done with a modern round-point electrical engraving tool. I do not know if my assumption is accurate because the photos are not so crisp. The date looks funny:

...国大連陳朝波乙酉年
          koku Dailian ..... Rooster Year.

Probably the missing kanji is Chu for 中国 Chukoku [China] because that is where Dailian is; they make some good-quality blades for modern iaido practicioners. I've used some for test-cutting that would have made good gunto.

An overall view of the tang will give our collectors more of the "pie" to judge, not just a slice.

-Guy
          Guy, thank you so much. I will try to get the picture of the whole sword.

Comment

modern swords made in China DALIAN.

Comment

Originally posted by zts View Post
              modern swords made in China DALIAN.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X