Small Size Type 90 Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Size Type 90 Helmets

Just curious about the number of small size Type 90's in your collections versus large sizes?Is there an average 50/50 small to large or do you guys find the small helmets less often? Here are a few pics of one of the only two small sized helmets I have in my collection.
    Attached Files

I'm not sure whether or not it is just rust or the orange primer you hear about, but I don't want to wipe it to find out. anyone know for sure the time frame the Japanese used the Orange primer?
    Attached Files

Comment

Kanji for small on apron
      Attached Files

Comment

Another view of shell
        Attached Files

Comment

Front liner pad stamping
          Attached Files

Comment

Last One Thanks for your input. Geoff
            Attached Files

Comment

I see a lot fewer small sizes on the market and indeed facts indicate they are rarer, but not by as much as I imagined. Here are the facts. In Jan 1940, of the 1262 helmets among the supply of gear to the 71st Cavalry Regiment broke down to 700 Large and 562 Small sizes.

Comment

Interesting numbers. That's a small slice of the pie. Based on what I've seen I agree there are lesser small sizes out there

Comment

Small size supply was consistently between 43 and 45% of the total helmet supply.

Comment

In my personal collection, small size helmets account for roughly 20%. I tend to find many more large size helmets for sale than small ones. Just my observation.

PG-

Comment

When I was actively collecting Japanese Type 90 helmets I recorded photographic details of helmets that I came across on the Internet such as date, liner type, paint swish around the rivets and star, chin strap type, etc. I was also interested in what proportion small sized helmets were issued as compared with the large size as a number of collector commentators were of the view that smaller size were much less frequently encountered than the large size. I recorded photos of 162 large size helmets and 93 small size helmets. That implies an issue ratio of around 2:1 - which seems to suggest that the small size helmet is not as uncommon as is sometimes thought.
                      Last edited by Michael Downey; 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X