Tsuba and rust....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tsuba and rust....

I have been studying old tsuba and have noticed that many iron ones have various amounts of rust on them. Other examples seem to have been fairly well rusted over the years and now have deeply pitted, but cleaned surfaces. I have also seen that the prices for rusty examples are, at times, as high as cleaner examples. I know that rarity is based upon different factors, and that generally drives the price, but I was wondering whether our sword guys could comment generally upon what dictates rarity and price. Is it acceptable to clean rusty iron tsuba or will that affect value? I also wanted to know if anyone could recommend any books, in English on the subject of tsuba as well as samurai sword fittings?

MikeB

Hi Mike,

Dr. Richard Stein's website, The Japanese Sword Guide, has a large section on tsuba including basics for beginners as well as advice on cleaning iron tsuba. Here is a link to the main page.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com

From there you will come across several large font headings in red, one of which is "Japanese Sword Tsuba". below that are the various sub headings.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

Mike if you collecting my brother & I will be selling my late Father's collection of tsuba

Comment

Tsuba and....

Hi Stu-
        Thanks for the lead on Dr. Stein's site...very interesting and packed full of information; I'll be reading for awhile.

Hi Jareth-
        Thank you for telling me about your dad's collection. At this stage, I am doing little buying and more reading. Once you decide on how you plan to sell everything, please let me know.

MikeB

Comment

Like swords, iron sukashi tsuba are valued by the material used and the workmanship of the artisan. High qualty sukashi tsuba will exhibit small raised areas of iron on the rim known as bones. The best iron sukashi tsuba are black in color and were made in the Late Muromachi Period thru the Early Edo Period. Some of the leading schools were Yagyu, Ono, Akasaka and the Kuniye Schools. There are other groups and I would suggest trying to find a copy of the book, "Sukashi Tsuba" by the late Sasano Masayuki. He was an amazing man and sensei who taught me how to appreciate kodogu.

Comment

Tsuba....

Hello Bob-
            Thank you for your message and feedback. I will see if I can locate the book, Sukashi Tsuba. I am hoping that it's in English or perhaps has some English sub-titles. After reading through Dr. Stein's discussions, it appears that collectors base their opinions on the authenticity of various tsuba upon the item's measurements and "that general feeling that comes with handling many over time". Even reproductions (late Edo) appear to be collected as representative items. Interestingly too, I noticed that some authentic, old tsuba are labelled as proper for display, but not to be mounted on a sword. I gathered that some of this had to do with the quality of the metal. Like many things sword related, there is a lot to be learned!

MikeB

Comment

Tsuba...

I see that the book, Sukashi Tsuba, appears to be translated into English. Copies are available on Amazon Books.

MikeB

Comment

This is an informative link to a Q & A discussion on Tsuba types in general, periods of manufacture, style and school characteristics, and methods for cleaning rust, among other things.

Mikeb

http://home.earthlink.net/~jggilbert/qapage.htm

Comment

Hey Mike,

If you are delving into another hobby and need some cash, I have my eye on a few of your flags/senninbari, just let me know......

Tom

Comment

Tsuba...

Hi Tom-
                    "So many areas of interest, so little time....." It's beginning to look as though I may fall prey to the sword bug.... among other things! I have been studying them superficially for a number of years, but as you know, it's an easy field to get stung badly if you don't know what you are doing. Thanks to Bob and Stu, I think I'm off and runnin' in the right direction. Honestly, nothing will ever take the place of signed flags and stitch belts, but should I ever decide to part with anything special, I'll keep you in mind. By the way, are you re-considering senninbari? Do you plan to attend the SOS?

Regards,

Mike

Comment

PM sent.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X