Off to the battlefields: need contacts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to the battlefields: need contacts!

This coming January, I will be setting off to explore a few battlefields over the course of 3 weeks. I am hitting Manila, Peleliu, Guam, Saipan, and Tinian. Along with general exploration, I am hoping to do some dog tag research confirming at least in part what kind of dog tag stamp styles were used on each of these islands. I have my thoughts on the styles of tags for most of the places (too many styles for the PI, imo) I am going to, but it would be really good to get a few examples in hand to study while I am there. If anyone is willing to forward to me their collector contacts in any of these locations who would be willing to share their dog tag examples with me, I would really appreciate it. Probably a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask. Also, if you have any burning questions about the battlefields and want me to look out for specific things while I am there, like "Did the Japanese utilize retractable armored cave doors on Peleliu?" I am happy to keep an eye open. Feel free to PM me if you have contact guidance or questions.

Thanks!

Tom
    Last edited by GeorgeP; 12-20-2014, 04:27 AM.

Hey Tom,Sounds like a Great adventure!I would be interested to know if there has been an Up-tick in the number of Japanese visitors to these places? Please take lots of pics I for one would be very interested! and best wishes for a bountiful and productive journey.Regards,Geoff

Comment

Hello Geoff,
      Thanks for the well wishes. I am quite excited to start this trip, first and foremost because I love this era in history, but also to get a break from staring at compound walls 7 days a week. As to your question, I don’t know about up ticks in Japanese visitors the past few years, but I do know that overall, over the past few decades, the Marianas at least have catered to Japanese visitors, particularly those on honeymoon. I was told while living in Japan that for those couples who could afford it, they would make Hawaii their honeymoon destination; for those who wanted a cheaper destination would go to Guam. It looks like Peleliu and the Palau’s see a fair share of Japanese visitors as well, but most likely for the diving/snorkeling opportunities that are on offer.

Yes, thousands of pics. will be taken! Every artillery piece and tank will pretty much have its own personal photo shoot! (do they make SD cards in 100 terabyte sizes yet?)

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X