Fabric Sarute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric Sarute

This is something I have been pondering for some time now so I thought I would put it out there for discussion.Since I became interested in Japanese swords I felt much safer dealing with Gunto as I felt more comfortable about not taking a major "Hit" while I learned more.I began noticing the Sarute being made of metal,wire, and fabric,If not missing completely.Here are a couple of photos of a Naval Tachi I have with the cloth sarute which has been tied with a knot.I am not sure what the prescribed method of attachment was for the fabric Sarute however I am posting what I think was one of the methods.The example was used on an Army blade I have.
    Attached Files

The following photos are close ups of the remnants of a Sarute I removed from the brass threaded ferrules that hold the Sarute in the Kabuto-Gane.The fitting on the Tsuka "Handle." I used a wooden chopstick to attempt to poke the remnants of the fabric out of the ferrule and quickly realized there was something preventing me from doing so.I carefully tapped the chopstick with a small hammer and could feel the obstruction moving out of the ferrule and out popped the following....
    Attached Files

Comment

The knot on the Navy tachi looks like it's a fisherman's knot:

--Guy

Comment

In these photos you can see what appears to be a small brass "Plug"inside the tube of woven fabric and the dark coating on the fabric appears to be some kind of glue possibly pitch or lacquer?? Forgive my primitive diagram but it is supposed to represent my idea of how this installation was done.Of course it is my speculation but I am interested in any opinions or information pertaining to the subject.My installation would go something like this..After the brass ferrules are installed through the Tsuka the fabric Sarute is passed through the ferrules and the little brass plug is inserted into one end of the fabric tube like a cork in a bottle the other end of the Sarute is stretched with some kind of tool, (chopstick or other tapered item) and the end with the plug inside is inserted into the widened end of the fabric tube.A brush stroke of "glue is painted on and the tool is used to push the fabric surrounded plug into the ferrule approx 1/2 way concealing the joint and leaving an apparently continuous loop for the Sarute .Like I said my speculation but would like to hear all thoughts Ideas or Info,Thanks,Geoff
        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X