Japanese flags pulled from a US ammo can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese flags pulled from a US ammo can

Here are some flags that I pulled from a .50 caliber US ammo can a while back. There were five flags in the can along with a few other items. The flags were being stored in the ammo can. There are two IJA rayed battle flags and three meatball flags. all are unsigned and appear to have slight battle damage and / or staining. Two have what appears to be schrapnel holes. The interesting part is that one of the flags has a tag tied to it with W.K. Miller, Iwo Island written on one side of the tag, and W.K.Miller Feb. 1945 on the other. There was also a loose tag that has W.K.Miller , Iwo Island written one side only. It appears that the tag was attatched to one of the other flags tie strings but has broken loose. There was no mention of the tags when I bought the ammo can with the flags, and was surprised to see it on the flag when I pulled them all from the can. Wartime? Post war, to remember where they came from? The whole can came cheap (relatively speaking), so it was not a ploy to earn extra money. These were found at a local yard sale with only the mention that the ammo can and items used to belong to an uncle in law who was a US Marine in WW2, and fought on Iwo Jima. (I know how the story goes, every Marine fought on Iwo Jima, according to their families) I ran a quick search, and came up with a possible match. I found a PFC. William K. Miller, 1st section, 81mm mortar platoon, H.Q. company 1/28, 5th marine division, who fought on Iwo Jima. I think the 1/28 means 1st battalion, 28th Marine regiment, 5th marine division. I found a company photo taken at camp Pendleton in early 1944 online, as well as a picture of some members aboard the USS Dickens while en route to Iwo Jima, february 1945. There was also a listing of all the men in the company who were wounded or killed in action, with details of each. This was the only W.K. Miller. USMC that I could find, but I am not that great at research, and only have limited means to work with. This may be a stretch, but as far as I can tell, this is the same Marine as I found information on. here is the webpage where I found some information on Miller: http://www.ww2gyrene.org/Photoalbum_17.htm
    Looks like Miller was part of an 81mm mortar platoon. HQ Co. 1/28, 5th marine Division.
    All comments are welcome. Any additional information on this marine would be appreciated as well.

PG-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul G; 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

v
          Attached Files

Comment

Millers company photo:
            Attached Files

Comment

1st section 81mm mortar platoon, HQ co. 1/28th aboard the USS Dickens (APA 161) en route to Iwo Jima, February 1945.
              Attached Files

Comment

W.K.Miller #2
                Attached Files

Comment

HI Paul,

Did the NCO sword come from the same source? If so given the other Miller and Bratcher info I've researched there would be no doubt in my mind that it was from Iwo Jima.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Hi Stu, This was a completely different source. But, now that you mention it, these all came out of Central California. I wonder if there's a connection there? They were all California veterans, all 5th Marine vets, all mortar men. I am thinking that there may be a connection, even though they were bought from different sources?? I didn't even realize , I guess I forgot about the rifle and sword having Carl D. Millers number on it, what a weird coincidence, and both marines in the 5th Div. both 81mm mortar guys, both HQ company, but different regiments, Carl with the 13th and William with the 28th.

PG-
                    Last edited by Paul G; 12-15-2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G View Post
                      Hi Stu, This was a completely different source. But, now that you mention it, these all came out of Central California. I wonder if there's a connection there? They were all California veterans, all 5th Marine vets, all mortar men. I am thinking that there may be a connection, even though they were bought from different sources??

PG-
                      Certainly some sort of connection in my view. As you know the 5th Marine Division was formed with Iwo Jima in mind and saw their first and only combat at that location. Afterward they were sent to Hawaii to await involvement in the invasion of the Japanese Home Islands. That never came to pass given the surrender of Japanese forces.

I'll see if that vet's granddaughter I am dealing with will research your fellow in her Spearhead book.

Regards,
                      Stu

Comment

Forgot to mention ... you really have the touch with this stuff. Ever considered just sitting back and buying lottery tickets?

Regards,
                        Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
                          Forgot to mention ... you really have the touch with this stuff. Ever considered just sitting back and buying lottery tickets?

Regards,
                          Stu
                          Thanks Stu! I can't ever seem to win at lotto, not even a few bucks That would be interesting to see if he is in the book!

PG-

Comment

Man Paul, your luck is outstanding. I might collect for the rest of my life and never make a single find like the ones you have with the LaSauce or Makin flags and this Iwo lot. Good work. Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2xEnvelopment View Post
                              Man Paul, your luck is outstanding. I might collect for the rest of my life and never make a single find like the ones you have with the LaSauce or Makin flags and this Iwo lot. Good work. Keep it up.
                              Thanks Matt,
                              Just dumb luck! I mostly find junk, or the occasional item thats way overpriced and the seller won't budge. I have another group of items that I will post soon, I am still slowly trying to get information about it. Thats the slow part. People will take your money fast, with a promise of getting more information for you as they can. The information usually doesn't come quickly in my experience. Gentle reminders help, but you have to be careful or people will shut you down and just say they couldn't find anything.

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X