Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Old Tantō Hand Made Blade

Hello all,

This came out of an estate, Hand made blade, unmarked tang, only has one hole. Super tight fit.
    All fittings are hand made as you can see. The Suba looks to be copper with a steel ring on the diameter. Blade is 10.5" in length overall 14". Sadly missing the small utility knife.

Thoughts please? Thank you in advance!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Blade is super, no damage or graying, retains old original polish.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

For possible information on the blade, good pictures of the entire blade and nakago without the fittings are necessary.

Comment

Hello EVR,

Always nice to find a clean piece and I look forward to seeing the photos Bob has suggested need be taken. Although the nakago is unmarked the shape will assist in placing the sword to a particular era.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

:d
                Attached Files

Comment

Likely a tanto made in Bizen Province in the 16th c. This is an educated guess from the pictures, which is not an accurate way for an accurate opinion. It is based on blade and nakago shape. The string form of wrap on the handle is called jibara and not seen as often as other wraps. The mounts appear to all be 19th c.

Comment

Thanks Bob for your input. The Tanto blade was super tight, the Japanese owner used super thin bamboo shims. I agree about the fittings being 1800's circa.

Is it worth much?

Comment

I am always wary of shinogi zukuri tanto blades. Just looks off, and many times they are the front end of a broken katana. But the nakago on this one looks old, so not really sure what is going on there. Hamon and boshi needs to be examined.
                      The fuchi and kashira look very comical and un-Japanese to me. Oddest Chidori birds I have seen. Maybe 20th century or amateur work.
                      If the blade is ok and boshi is there, then the package is worth around $500 imho. This one needs a closer look.

Brian

Comment

Nakago doesn't look that old to me certainly not from the 1500's
                        I would guess the top of a koto tachi
                        Lots of flaws in the blade
                        as Brian said 450-500

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! Much appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X