My New Meiji era Techo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Meiji era Techo

Following on from the Taisho era Techo, I finally got my hands on a Meiji era one.

When I recieve it I will put all of my Techo's together and take a family portrait for you fine fellows to see.

Now from what I have been able to translate, the former owner was a Tanaka Nikichi (田中二吉), whom I believe was a commoner from Niigata(新県潟平民), and was with the army transport corps(輜重兵). A part of the 7th Transportation Regiment, 7th Division (輜重兵第七大隊第一中隊). What I can't figure out was his rank his address or his birthdate. I think, if deciphering correctly it was 1881 or Meiji 14

Front cover.

Document from inside.

Seems he was called up a few times, but only went on active service once.

Can anyone help me with what this section means/says?

Service history. Seems he moved around a bit. Any chance he served in the Russo-Japanese war?

Rear of Techo

I hope you like, and I look forward to your help and comments.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt.

田中二吉
    Tanaka Nikichi
    also could be Niyoshi or Tsuguyoshi

born:
    明治十四年3月二十九日
    Meiji Jūyon-nen San-gatsu Nijūkyū-nichi
    29 March 1881

Address:
    新潟県越後「?」3呉
    Niigata Prefecture Echigo 「?」 3-go
    Niigata Prefecture Echigo 「?」 #3

--Guy

Comment

Looks like there is a lot of history in your techo. A small correction on your sub unit: The owner of this booklet was part of the 7th Transport Battalion. This was in a time before the divisions did away with their various battalions and expanded them into regiments. Make sure to save room in your portrait for the “proto – techo” that sometimes pops up once every other blue moon in Japan (I have yet to see this earliest of techos on any auction sites in the US). It is an early Meiji era booklet that is bound much like booklets of the era with string, no hard/cloth covers and very different in appearance from the techo you have displayed.

Tom

Comment

Tom and Guy, My apologies for taking so long to reply. Many thanks for the help answering my questions.

Tom, Was there anything interesting in his movements or just the regular stuff?

hahah thanks for the tip but the way.... As if it isn't hard enough to find the normal types.. Thanks mate.

Comment

With Fresh Eyes and a Clearer Mind .....

Glad to help!

By the way, [with fresh eyes ....] the question mark in my post might be ... at least, that makes sense. Also ..... #3 does not make sense. I googled and found Mishima [oops, they pronounce it "Santō"] .... if one drank enough sake, that last kanji COULD look like "tō/shima/island" ... and .... there IS a 三島 in Echigo. Therefore, I propose the entry is:

新潟県越後三島
          Niigata Prefecture Echigo no Kuni Santō [-gun] (Japanese Wiki link)
          Niigata Prefecture Echigo Country, Santō [District] (English Wiki link)

--Guy

Comment

Unless there are nuances in the entries that I am missing, it looks like you have a really great techo with some nice history from the Russo-Japanese War. There is an entry within the body of the written red kanji that notes the Battle of Mukden. There are also a few defense/garrison entries as well. Lots of location kanji that I am not familiar with. Possibly for locations in that part of China. Very cool!

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X