Helmet Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet Help

Now that we have a Japanese equipment forum, maybe I can finally find out what this tag is that's attached to my helmet. This is the way it came and I've never actually had a clue as to what is was. Secondly, I know that the white paint is the size, but what is the stamp on the shell under the paint (marked with the white arrow? Strangely enough, I had never noticed it until I took the photo of the wood tag.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Larry,

The kanji on the wooden tag are for the soldier's name last (i.e., Oota), first name (I could not translate the first name), and unit (i.e., Number 3 Section).

The kanji stamped into the rim is the kanji "DAI" for large. (It is the same kanji that is painted onto the rim in white paint.)

Thanks for posting the photo of your Army helmet on the forum.

Eric <LEGEND>

Comment

Thanks Eric, I thought it might have been some type of manufacturers tag or something. Since it's a name, I'll make a more concerted effort to have it translated.

Comment

It's actually the same as a surrender tag that you'd see on a sword, but I've never seen one on a helmet before.

Nice!

Comment

Help me out Roy, I'm not well versed in Japanese items. What's a surrender tag?

Comment

Hi Larry,

Surrender tags were simply name tags made by Japanese officers to identify their swords after they surrendered.
            They were typically made of wood and often had the same information on both sides.
            Many surrender tags listed the name and unit, while others actually included an address in Japan.
            Because the Japanese revered their blades (synonymous with their bushido),
            they hoped (and in many instances were promised) that their sword would find its way back to its rightful owner, however this rarely happened.
            Surrender tags have been found on gunto's with both ancestral blades and showa blades.
            I'll post an example this weekend.

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy. While the tag was attached to the helmet when it came out of the woodwork, I can't immagine it being worn that way. It's attached with a piece of copper wire that looks like it would have worn a hole in your skull in fairly short order. This one only has writing only on one side. I've just been curious for a long time what it was for.

Comment

Hi Larry,

Here is a surrender tag for a katana. If my translation is correct, it reads:

KAU SAKI SHO 1 (2nd Lieutenant Kausaki)

33 TOKU KON (this is the unit, but I have no other information on it).

The same Kanji is on both sides.

Roy
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X