Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help ID and Translation Sword Tag

Hi,

Can someone translate and ID what this is? I was told it might be a tag for a Japanese sword.

Thanks,

Matt

In a rush so cannot research the smaller kanji. Large kanji:

一文字助村大太刀

Ichimonji Jomura Ōdachi
    Large Tachi by Ichimonji Jomura

The Ōdachi is crossed out by two parallel red lines and ~長 ~naga/cho is written in red

Comment

The smaller letters look like this:

乾弟六年
      Kentei 6th Year [I'm guessing at the "kantei" sound]. I'm also guessing at "year" because it fits the normal dating format ... but that doesn't make it a correct guess; it might be something else like "generation" [but that doesn't fit]. I was thinking it could be 弟子 deshi/pupil [with a 6 in between] but the kanji 子 should be similar to , and it's not.

So I'm at a loss! I have no clue at all.

I cannot find a comparable Japanese era; all I can find is 乾元 Kengen, which had only one year (not 6) lasting from November 1302 through August 1303.

Hopefully one of our sword history experts will know what the accurate kanji are, and what they mean.

--Guy

Edit. Originally I thought the second kanji was a counter for 6 ... maybe it is:
      六年
      Kan Dai-6 Nen [or whatever that last kanji is]

On the written sword tag, that second kanji's radical [the top portion] looks like the grass radical , not bamboo .
      Last edited by GHP; 12-12-2014, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X