No announcement yet.

Civil Defense Helmet with Protective Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geoff thanks for the additional pictures, do you know if this variation of hook is also encountred on IJA havelocks? I am not an expert at all, but I remember at least two kind of hooks and this could be one of them.
    Interesting Guy, I think this kind of hood is way much older than ww2. After a quick search I found this picture of a ww2 hood.

[Edit] Okay, I have no idea about how to put the pictures in a logical order or just the way I want in the post. Of course it's obvious but just in case, to be clear: ww2 examples on the left, older one on the right.

The japanese name seems to be "zukin" (頭巾) a general name for every piece of cloth you'll put on your head. So not much more chance of finding any wartime pictures in googling it. Well, I failed, but I am sure you'll be more successful. It appears the right side picture I found on wiki cames from an NMB thread posted by member estcrh, he stated the zukin is in waterproofed fabric. Feel free to ask the page's link or to let know estcrh I used a part of his picture here, I can't find my logging on NMB.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Staldion; 12-11-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
      Interesting Guy, I think this kind of hood is way much older than ww2. After a quick search I found this picture of a ww2 hood.
      Matthieu:

"The Google is strong with this one."

Comment

Would it have a chinstrap?

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
          Geoff thanks for the additional pictures, do you know if this variation of hook is also encountred on IJA havelocks? I am not an expert at all, but I remember at least two kind of hooks and this could be one of them.

[Edit] Okay, I have no idea about how to put the pictures in a logical order or just the way I want in the post. Of course it's obvious but just in case, to be clear: ww2 examples on the left, older one on the right.

The japanese name seems to be "zukin" (頭巾) a general name for every piece of cloth you'll put on your head. So not much more chance of finding any wartime pictures in googling it. Well, I failed, but I am sure you'll be more successful. It appears the right side picture I found on wiki cames from an NMB thread posted by member estcrh, he stated the zukin is in waterproofed fabric. Feel free to ask the page's link or to let know estcrh I used a part of his picture here, I can't find my logging on NMB.

Wow! Very cool!

Comment

Staldion I'm afraid I know next to nothing of the construction of original havlocks of any kind the best I can do is post a couple of detail pics for reference. I hope this helps.As to the Term "Zukin" I find that interesting.I have never heard that term before but then again I am not a Japanese speaker.
            Attached Files

Comment

If I am using the term "Zukin" correctly I believe this would qualify as one.Although I cannot say for sure emphatically that it is indeed WWII era,I believe it is from that period.There is some damage to the flap which covers the lower part of the face and the fabric definitely has water RESISTANT qualities.At one time it may have been waterproof but perhaps over time the treatment has degraded somewhat. As in the photograph provided by Guy,it sports the pointy top as well which may be a traditional feature. Thanks G.
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

`
                    Attached Files

Comment

I was just wondering if the lighter colored bag on the WWII dressed mannequin in the photo posted by Staldion is for a gas mask? as far as the haversack was there one made specifically for Civil Defense?or did they use military issue bags? I'm sure later on they would use whatever was at hand. Thanks,Geoff

Comment

Forgot to mention the previous picture cames from the Showakan museum, Tokyo, in 2005.

About the gasmask yes there were specific models for civil defense like this one:

http://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii1240

http://griffinmilitaria.com/cgi-bin/...status=&title=

Don't know about havresack, everyone will do the job, did they had to issued one as it may be a part of everyday gear at the time? Hope someone will share the answer.
                        Last edited by Staldion; 12-13-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X