Malaysian sword ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malaysian sword ????

I am not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. I have an opertunity to purchase this sword but I am not sure what it is. The story goes that it was brought back after WWII from the Pacific area by the sellers father. I could not get great pictures or take off handle. It is made like a Japanese Wakizashi and is about 22 inches long. The blade has two narrow blood groves on the opisite side of the engraving that run about 3/4 of the way from handle to tip.Can anyone help identify the sword and what it says on the blade.
    Attached Files

Malaysian sword

Picture 3
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Harvey,
      Better pictures would help, especially of the whole blade and some of the tang with handle removed.
      From what i see, i believe you have a Japanese sword and not a Malaysian sword.
      I think the carving is of a budhist diety.
      I'm sure someone else will give better info.
      Cheers
      Ern

Comment

I agree with Ern, it looks Japanese.

Do I see a hamon? Brass hibaki, nice looking engraving and the usual wood shira saya. It probably is a wakizashi from the dimensions described. That's about all I get besides some rusty looking patches.

If the price is right this one could be a nice score... or a bust. These pics don't tell the story.

Regards, Rod

Comment

It's Japanese. The engraving is of 不動明王 Fudo Myo-O Sama: King of Hell, the Unmoveable. He carrys the sword of justice and the rope of truth. His duty is to catch souls before they enter Hell, secure them with the rope of truth, then hit them with the sword of justice.

The Bon-ji [Sanscrit] engraved on the blade might be हूं Which is commonly found with Fudo .... since that's his name in Sanscrit!
          Here's the Japanese-writing rendition of the Sanscrit:

--Guy

Comment

Malaysian sword

As always I appreciate the comments and thank all of you. Any one have any idea what this sword might be worth? approximate range.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey R Lipp View Post
              As always I appreciate the comments and thank all of you. Any one have any idea what this sword might be worth? approximate range.
              Hello Harvey,

I'm seeing three photos, one of which is out of focus and none of which show the tip nor the tang. It's impossible to give a valuation based upon those images. Much more/better are needed.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Hello Harvey,

I have come across a few tsuka over time where the pin was wedged in very tight. So tight in fact that I was not sure which end of the pin was smaller. I found, quite by accident, that viewing a digital photograph of each end of the pin on a computer monitor allowed me to see them more clearly and determine the correct direction to punch it out. Perhaps your eyes are still able to determine the size but if they are getting like mine you may want to try that technique to make sure you strike the peg in the appropriate direction.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Malaysian sword

Unfortunately I could only take the pictures what I was allowed. I wish I would have had more time but that was not the case. I do not know if it is worth a shot but I know he says he was offered $1000 on the spot by some gun shop owner in Arizona. The owner seemed honest but you never know. $1000 seems high to me but I only collect military stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey R Lipp View Post
                    Unfortunately I could only take the pictures what I was allowed. I wish I would have had more time but that was not the case. I do not know if it is worth a shot but I know he says he was offered $1000 on the spot by some gun shop owner in Arizona. The owner seemed honest but you never know. $1000 seems high to me but I only collect military stuff.
                    Ok, I understand. I've had to deal with that a few times myself when the owner was concerned about his "treasure" and reluctant to have me remove a tsuka.

Frankly the 1K USD seems high to me too. When trying to value a piece like this I often take into account what it would cost me to refurbish it. The edge alone will run you 2K USD and if the horimoro requires any carving it will be more IMHO. Before deciding on a piece like this I always ask myself if I will be able to get my money out of it if the need were to arise. I suggest to any collector that if the answer is No then pass on the piece. There maybe exceptions to that general rule of thumb and if your pockets are deep you may be able to disregard the break even point and satisfy a whim but most of us are not in that position and don't like to buy high and sell low. You also need to consider if you are refurbishing a tourist type piece and would it appeal to a true nihonto enthusiast. If it won't appeal to an enthusiast then your potential resale market shrinks considerably.

Regards,
                    Stu

Comment

Malaysian sword

you are correct this could be expensive to restore if it is real. I thing I am going to see if I can get him to let me take handl off. Thanks again

Comment

I agree this is a Japanese sword. From the pictures, I would think it is a wakizashi. Little can be definitivly determined from the current pictures. The carving is medium quality lacking the crispness found in high end horimono.

Comment

Bob,
                          Maybe being diplomatic, but I wouldn't call the horimono medium quality. I think it is firmly in the amateur stakes and definitely not done by a professional. There are lots worse, but this is not one to pay extra for.

Here are good, and excellent horimono...

Comment

Brian-
                            In hindsight I would agree I was not stating that the horimono was lower quality.. Many times those who have not studied Japanese swords become overly enthusiastic over mediocer work so I was trying to shoose my words carefully.. I had a Juto by Soshu Fusamune, a first rank carver and the work never had been ground down by a stone. It was an amazing piece.

Comment

Malaysian sword

I removed the handle and no Kanji visable but rust quite thick. Tang looks old maybe 300 years plus? Not a great sword but interesting and unusual.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X