3x Hinomaru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3x Hinomaru

Hello: This is my first post here. I present for your enjoyment/comment/translation assistance my collection of hinomaru. The first is the only one I have seen with arabic numbers, 2599-1-29 (January 29, 1939 to you and me). Does anyone know the significance of the date? I assume it is only significant to the recipient of the flag. I am no fair hand at translation, but I believe that the kanji on the right side of the flag is close to, but not, Bu-Un-Cho-Kyu. There are three across the top that appear to start with the number one, or "-". Anything you can tell me on this one is appreciated. Much of the writing on this one appears to be by the same "artistic" hand to me. Do you think the same, and is there any significance to this?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lea Hall; 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM.

2nd one

This one appears to have bloodstains and a look like it is a true battlefield relic, which is what attracted me to it. It appears to have Bu-Un-Cho-Kyu across the top, but not sure if I am correct. The lion's share of writing on this one is hard to read. Of course if something jumps out, please let me know, but am really interested in the large writing on the right hand side of the flag.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure others who can read the kanji will comment but just for future reference there is a thread here ...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=493366

... that lists quite a few of the main slogans that are usually in large font.

Nick Komiya has made up a chart of them that is an quick find reference. It's posted on the first page.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

3rd one

This one has been posted on this board before by another user. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=493366&page=8 From that post, I have a translation regarding the Sakura. The Sakura contains the 6 characters standing for the military code of conduct, including "Sincerity". Loyalty to the nation, courteousness, bravery, integrity and frugality are the others, I believe. There also appears to be "Certain victory" at the seven and two o'clock positions. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your consideration.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Stu. I've been studying that, but this is very challenging to me. Any help I can get is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lea

Comment

Hey Lea, Geoff here Nice Hinomaru! I understand the difficulties discerning some of the characters Like our handwriting there are many different styles of penmanship The appearance of multiple dimensions in depth gives me fits.Thankfully we have some very talented help here! What part of "The Boot" do you live in? Regards Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Lea Hall View Post
              ... It appears to have Bu-Un-Cho-Kyu across the top, but not sure if I am correct. ...
              Correct:
              祈武運長久
              Ki Buun Chōkyū
              Prayers/Wishes for Everlasting Fortunes in Battle

贈 今泉茂男君
              Sō Imaizumi Shigeo-kun
              Gifted to Mr Imaizumi Shigeo

山口
              Yamaguchi Hiroshi ... shi
              Yamaguchi ~ [?Hiroshi?]. The next kanji is and can be either Hiro~ [e.g., Hiroshima] or Hiroshi [given name]; on the flag there looks like some writing just to the right of , perhaps even being part of that kanji .... so this might be a different, more complex, kanji altogether [or it could be someone else's writing overlapping]. The last kanji means city ... so I"m a bit confused here.

大日本兵器株式会社

Dai Nippon Heiki Kabushi Kaisha
              Greater Japan Weapons Co., LTD

第三製作所幸田工場
              Dai San Seisakusho Koda Kōjō
              Number 3 Factory, Koda Workshop

Comment

Thanks Stu. I've been studying that, but this is very challenging to me. Any help I can get is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lea
                Hello Lea,

I feel your pain! LOL. It's very challenging for me too! I usually start there for the "easy" ones then have to cry for help when it gets to the more complex kanji groupings and the toughest for me is the grass writing. It can be fun though as you watch it come together. A bit like building a jigsaw puzzle.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

大日本兵器株式会社

第三製作所幸田工場

Now that looks interesting. I bet you could do some research on that company. Maybe it's still in existence. Some of the others are but of course have changed over to make automobiles and electronics.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                    Hey Lea, Geoff here Nice Hinomaru! I understand the difficulties discerning some of the characters Like our handwriting there are many different styles of penmanship The appearance of multiple dimensions in depth gives me fits.Thankfully we have some very talented help here! What part of "The Boot" do you live in? Regards Geoff
                    Hey Geoff, I am from Caddo (SHV) but work all over the State. What about you? What gets me is how different they appear as handwritten to the printed kanji I am attempting to compare them to. I am getting better, but am a long way from competent. Main thing is, I am having fun doing it. I agree with you the "help" here is amazing. Thanks, Lea

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                      Correct:
                      祈武運長久
                      Ki Buun Chōkyū
                      Prayers/Wishes for Everlasting Fortunes in Battle

Glad I got one right. After closer comparison to my no.1 flag, it appears that this is phrase is also on the right side of that flag. Is that also correct?

贈 今泉茂男君
                      Sō Imaizumi Shigeo-kun
                      Gifted to Mr Imaizumi Shigeo
                      What a cool name! I've never heard the first or surname before. Mind blown.

山口
                      Yamaguchi Hiroshi ... shi
                      Yamaguchi ~ [?Hiroshi?]. The next kanji is and can be either Hiro~ [e.g., Hiroshima] or Hiroshi [given name]; on the flag there looks like some writing just to the right of , perhaps even being part of that kanji .... so this might be a different, more complex, kanji altogether [or it could be someone else's writing overlapping]. The last kanji means city ... so I"m a bit confused here.
                      This appears to me to be two different hands. The size of the writing certainly changes by the time we get to Yamaguchi, but the line continues as if unbroken. Is this unusual? If you are confused, they don't even have a word for what I am.

大日本兵器株式会社

第三製作所幸田工場
                      Guy:
                      Thank you for this. I did not expect anything nearly so cool as the Greater Japan Weapons Co., LTD. I will research this as Stu suggested. I know this is a huge effort on your part (I read your translations almost daily) and want you to know how much I appreciate it. If there is some way to compensate you for your efforts I am glad to oblige. If there is any way to keep you happy and translating my flags, I want to do that. Is there anything else you could tell me about the other flags (esp. #1)? If not, I really appreciate all you have given me tonight. Did I get anything right on no.3?

Thanks, Lea

Comment

So far, I've been able to find out that a Kabushiki Kaisha is a Japanese business type, similar to a corporation. They have a few different rules, but basically a corp. That being said, the only reference I come up with is attached to the name "Hitachi."

This is the title of a book, written in Japanese. The only reference I could find.

Hitachi Heiki Kabushiki Kaisha -- History

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look next?

Comment

So far, I've been able to find out that a Kabushiki Kaisha is a Japanese business type, similar to a corporation. They have a few different rules, but basically a corp. That being said, the only reference I come up with is attached to the name "Hitachi."

This is the title of a book, written in Japanese. The only reference I could find.

Hitachi Heiki Kabushiki Kaisha -- History

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look next?
                          Kabushiki Kaisha (or KK as in the zipper company YKK) is the equivalent of our CO. LTD.

I found mentions of the Dai Nippon Heiki KK online:
                          このエリコンFF型固定機銃はまず「恵式20ミリ固定機銃1型」と名付けられて採用され、続いて昭和16年 12月13日「99式1号20ミリ固定機銃」と名称が変更された。この間に富岡兵器製作所は、13年7月1 日、浦賀船渠から独立して大日本兵器株式会社となっている。
                          ========
                          The Oerlikon [Erikon] FF type fixed machine gun was adopted were first named "Megumi-shiki 20 mm fixed machine gun type 1", followed in December 13, 1941 as "Type 99 No. 1 20 mm fixed machine gun" name has been changed . Tomioka weapons factory during this period, July 1, 13, has became the large Nippon Weapons Corporation LTD from Uraga Dock Company.
                          --Guy

Comment

Based on what Guy found, I was able to find this at Castle Thunder:

http://www.castle-thunder.com/wforum...4e29e284e15d9e
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Lea Hall; 12-09-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

This is lifted from the post on Castle Thunder with the important part bolded:

Translation of the markings by Edokko:
                              1) E-shiki Nijju-miri Senkai-kiju Toku Ichi-gata Kai : Type-E (as in Oerlikon) 20mm Flexible Machine Gun Special Model 1 Rev.
                              2) Showa Ju-Roku-nen Go-gatsu : May 1941
                              3) Dai-nihon Heiki Kabushiki Kaisha / Tomioka Heiki Seisakujo : Dai-nippon Weapons Co., Ltd. / Tomioka Weapons Manufacturing Plant

A brief history of the Japanese Type 99 20mm Flex gun provided by Edokko.
                              Yes, these 20mm MG beasts were used quite broadly by the IJN.
                              They were initially built under license from the Swiss company Oerlikon from
                              1936 by The Tomioka Weapons Manufacturing Plant, established solely to build
                              these 20mm cannons by a private company called Uraga Dockyard Co., Ltd.,
                              under agreement from the navy that they will purchase the MGs and ammo if
                              the final product meet their specs.
                              The license was for the Models FF, FFL and FFS, each increasing in barrel
                              length and powder contents in order, but the weight specs initially limited
                              the aircraft application to the FF type, and hence Tomioka's first
                              production was the Type E (pronounced "E" as in "egg", not as in "eat") 20mm
                              Fixed Machine Gun Model-1 based on the Oerlikon FF coming off of the
                              production line in June 1937 using mostly imported materials. On July 1938,
                              The Tomioka Weapons Manufacturing Plant spun out from Uraga Dockyard and
                              became the Dai-Nippon Weapons Co., Ltd.. Produced the first purely domestic
                              material based 20mm MGs in July 1939, and the Type E 20mm Fixed MG Mode-1
                              was renamed the Type 99 No.1 20mm Fixed MG in February 1941.
                              Obviously
                              during the course of evolution of this company, many more types of 20mm MGs
                              were made including larger capacity drum mags, belt fed MGs and of course
                              the flexible MGs as the one your friend owns.
                              The initial application of the fixed MG onto aircraft was the Type 96
                              fighter, but was most known for it's use on the famous Zero fighter. The
                              Zero saw several evolutions of the Type E and then the Type 99 20mm MG to
                              improve ammo capacity and accuracy, and the final magazine fed variation was
                              called the Type 99 No.2 20mm Fixed Machine Gun Model 3 with a 100 round
                              capacity magazine and was used until the end of war on the fighters Zero,
                              Raiden and Shiden.
                              The belt fed variation was developed in 1943 and named the Type 99 20mm No.2
                              Fixed MG Model 4, but had many problems with their production examples and
                              had to undergo many improvements as they were used on the Zero, Raiden,
                              Shiden, Shiden-kai and the Gekko.
                              There is much more info on the history of the 20mm navy MG born as the
                              Type-E but is just too vast to write up here. As for the flexible MGs, these
                              were built for the tail gunner of flying boats (ie Type 2 Flying Boat etc)
                              and the Mid-range Bombers (ie. Betty Bomber etc), but your friends model
                              Type-E 20mm Flexible Machine Gun Special Model-1 Rev. is a manually aimed
                              variation of the Type-E 20mm Flexible MG Special Model-1, which in turn was
                              a flexible MG modified from the Type-E 20mm Fixed MG.

Amazing where this stuff goes sometimes.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X