Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When a flag is not a flag...

Morning all,
    How common was it for hinomaru yosagaki to not have hanging ties attached? My newest example has no hanging ties, but pinholes from where it had been hanging on a wall for a time. Was this some sort of late war thing or just the buyers preference?

Now as to what is written, We have quite a few signatures along the bottom, a big 'certain victory' at the top, a curious group of slogans or lyrics in the top right and the recipient and possible giver on the left.

Can anyone help me with his name? I recognize "kun" and I believe the kanji for "Chikara". Also Hachiya-machi is written, so we may have a location?

Was the giver some sort of shop or is this a signature of a person?

Are these poem lyrics or a song possibly?

Many thanks in advance for your help. If you choose to do so.

Jiromaru Riki ????

This looks like an unusual family name ... unless I'm making a big error. I've googled it and found a train station and a few other places with the name Jiromaru. I thought it was a given name, but the given name is "Riki" also called "Chikara" [Strong/Power]
    (I once had a friend named Chikara -- he used both Riki/Chikara.)

Top:
    必勝
    Hisshō
    Certain victory

Right side:

次郎丸力君

Presented Mr. Jirōmaru Riki

八屋町
    Hachiya Machi
    「Hachiya, Fukuoka」

柴田店
    Shibata shop
    Followed by 17 names written along the bottom border.

Right side is a poem -- I am NOT a translator and can manage Japanese only with a great difficulty; therefore, I'll be most grateful if you forgive any meaning-errors I've made. Likewise, I welcome all corrections.

為次郎丸
    For Jirōmaru

黄塵萬里風流れて
    Blowing dust flows for a thousand miles

行くや曠漠幾山河
    To die [lit: going] over vast and extensive mountains and rivers

睨むは千里的敵の空
    Glaring, targeting a thousand miles of the enemy sky

大和の男の子の血を躍る
    Throbs [is written] with the blood of Yamato men.

--Guy

Comment

Guy, You are wonderful. Many many thanks for your hard efforts.

I can appreciate all the time and effort that go's into translating as I am helping myself learn basic phrases and such to assist in my own translating of items.

No need to forgive you... I'm just grateful you decided to comment.

Best regards.

Matt

Comment

When is a flag....

Hi Matt-
        Your flag is also interesting in that it appears to be nearly square. Many fall into that general, 24 X 32 inch range that gives them a more familiar flag shape. Your flag also has the presentation on the left-hand side which is a bit different, as.most seem to have that on the opposite side.

MikeB

Comment

Hi Mike,
          Many thanks for your reply. As you pretty much wrote the book on these flags I find it a great compliment that you like it.

Even though its not the flashiest it still holds a certain charm, that I find unique with every flag I have the luck of buying. Interestingly enough, its not the first square banner flag I have in my collection. I have an example made from what feels like canvas with very thickly applied informal kanji. Seems it was made and given to a Japanese officer by a group of Japanese civilians in an occupied country.

Matt

Comment

When a flag is not

Hi Matt-
            If you have the opportunity, please post some images of your other flag. It sounds as though it is more crudely made than the norm. I would enjoy seeing the material, etc. Many collectors seem to stay away from homemade or field made flags. I think because some are afraid that they might be buying CB made examples, they miss out on other, authentic good luck flag examples.

Regards,

MikeB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X