Anyone been to this shop in Tokyo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to this shop in Tokyo?

I'm visiting Japan next year and was hoping to stop in at this shop in Tokyo:

http://www.jimboucho-gunsouten.com/english.html

Has anyone been to this shop before? I think it is linked to Maekawa's shop in Osaka, but unfortunately I have not been there either.

Any comments on this shop greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tom

Their site in Japanese says Maekawa-san is the owner and they moved their shop from another location in Tokyo. Jimbo-cho/Kanda is where all the second hand book dealers are and there is one specializing in second hand military books. If you ask at the militaria shop, I'm sure they can give you directions to the book shop. They have many out-of-print books with name lists and profiles one needs for research.

Comment

shop visit photos ???

Originally posted by GeorgeP View Post
      I'm visiting Japan next year and was hoping to stop in at this shop in Tokyo:
      http://www.jimboucho-gunsouten.com/english.html
      ...Any comments on this shop greatly appreciated, thanks!
      Tom
      Hello Tom:
      Sounds like an interesting "next year" shop visit.
      If possible, it would be great to see some shop
      layout and item photos posted on the WAF.

Visiting militaria shops was always a favorite.
      OFW
      (below) Cited link info...

JIMBOUCHO Japanese Military Antiques Shop

3-16-1F KANDANISHIKICHO, CHIYODA
      TOKYO, JAPAN

Attached Files
      sigpic
      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

I visited this shop not too long ago, but I needed to make an appointment to visit, as it didn't have regular hours. Not sure if that is still the case.... I did not see the English version of the site before, so maybe it's under new management.

Comment

Looking at the site, I now see it has posted regular hours of 11 to 7pm.

Comment

Thanks all for the input so far!

TFBuddha: Thanks for pointing that out. I think I will email ahead as well to be sure to gain entry. What was your impression of the shop? Lots of quality stuff? More focused on some things as compared to others?

OFW: Yeah, we will have to see about pics. It looks like a treasure trove in there!

Nick: Thanks for the added info. on the book shop. Funnily enough, that military bookstore was another place I had on my list to visit. It is good to know that they are in the same area. I remember being in that bookstore years ago with not nearly enough money in my pocket for all of the great books they had for sale. To this day, that is the only place I have ever seen a multi-volume set of Pre-WW2 kempei-related military manuals.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

If you cycle through the blog pages eventually you'll come to some items hats, boots, etc. with prices listed. That will give you some idea of the bank roll you'll need to be packing. Looking forward to hearing your impression of the visit!

http://jpmilitary.exblog.jp/

Regards, Rod

Comment

When I was there, the place had a bit of everything, but was heavy on field gear and equipment as well as insignia, or at least that is what took up most of the main displays. Not too many medals or decorations or ephemera, and there were a couple dozen uniforms on racks. As for prices, a lot of the items were top quality and in good condition, and the prices reflected that.

Comment

Thanks for the added info. guys, much appreciated!

Tom

Comment

His old shop in Osaka was beyond amazing.
                    The bottom floor was all field gear and regular uniforms.
                    The second floor were his better uniforms and good insignia.
                    The third floor was his collection. His collection was jaw dropping.
                    I went to the Osaka shop many times, but have yet to make it to his Tokyo store as we always run out of time.
                    He appreciates high quality items and his prices reflect that.
                    The small , used military book store is a must stop on every trip we make.
                    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X