EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The state of our hobby: repros and fakes --thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The state of our hobby: repros and fakes --thoughts?

I'd like to hear from all of you about your experiences with fakes/repros./fantasy pieces coming into the market over the past few years. In your experience, has there been a huge influx of items being touted as real regardless of which kind of militaria your collection is focused on? Are we at the same level as Third Reich militaria now with what is available on the market concerning what is being touted as real? There does seem to be more interest with certain items like swords and flags in the past few years, and that of course will bring out the opportunists. Please let me know what you think!

Tom

Have seen a lot of dealers and people walking shows with fake japanese swords trying to pawn them off as real lately. Seeing tons of the fake NCO swords. Most of the dealers doing this don't really focus in WWII or militaria stuff and claim ignorance. I think Mike Morris is the only wwii dealer in my area known for selling bad stuff as original and telling people their authentic stuff is reproduction. I deal a lot with Steve and have only had great experiences, and I know Steve would not bother with fakes and he would not try to pawn them off on another unkowning buyer if he had made a mistake. I think it just comes down to the integrity of the person you're dealing with at the end of the day. Most of the people selling fakes know its fake. I've even seen guys here been told their item is bad, then it's listed on eBay a week later as original.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Slowly but surely we are going down the same path as Third Reich.

reeder3 ... If you know of a member(s) selling items on EBay as original after having been told here on WAF that they are not I think you should bring it to the attention of the membership. I know that a member was expelled from the forum for doing that with a TR item. That sort of person should be weeded out of our midst.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Sorry never seen a good fake japanese sword or fittings
        Same with German daggers

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
          Sorry never seen a good fake japanese sword or fittings
          Same with German daggers
          Hello Nick,

That may be true but given the number of new collectors who ask for opinions and find their items to be reproductions I think we must acknowledge that they are out there and good enough to fool those who have less experience than we do.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Hi Tom,

I tend to buy from sources I trust and really haven't had any serious issues, the Internet has only increased access and for me at least, transparency. In my opinion the state of the hobby has improved over the past few years, but I took an extended hiatus and that may be true for longer than I'm aware.

If we are talking about the seemy side of the hobby I'm not sure it's any worse now. Seabee specials come to mind where flags are concerned, souvenier hunters then and collectors now have been taken in by them. Thanks to this and another forum I'm able to spot the obvious ones and still see them on the auction site and dealers sites being sold as original Hinomaru no Yosegaki. Last laugh to the perps I guess, it's a lot less endearing where modern fakes are concerned and I have nothing but contempt for those who attempt to deceive.

That said, I'm optimistic and having fun, this forum and folks like Nick K., Guy, Bob C., Stu, Jareth, Taka and you others have contributed greatly to this leg of the collecting journey. As they say, it's all about the journey.

Regards, Rod

Comment

Hi Rod,

Thank you for your comments. After reading over your reply I thought to myself that perhaps I was a bit of a Gloomy Gus when I first commented because as much as the makers of the fakes are damaging this and all other hobbies they go after I still greatly enjoy my collection and collecting and plan to be buried with my three (make that five or maybe seven) favourite swords when the time comes.

Regards,
              Stu

Comment

Where do you intend to be buried?

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                  Where do you intend to be buried?

Now that is good!

Hi Nick, you'll have to get in line. My wife will be up front with a couple husky fellows with shovels.

Cheers,
                  Stu

Comment

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated!

Tom

Comment

In the UK we tend to see less fake items (mostly Chinese swords) as collecting IJA is not big over hear. I have noticed one or two things recently that are odd. one being a type 98 unissued tunic with black collar tabs with a red disc in the center and the same guy selling a German Africa corps type cap with added Japanese cloth star and rank badge (bevo style). he was interested when I pointed out the problems but he still has the tunic in the shop (at well over £100). I'm sure the fakes will slowly creep in but most dealers UK side wouldn't know if they were good or not.

Comment

Nice to hear that it is fairly safe in the UK, bmn. Now to start trolling UK dealer sites for Burma related groupings...

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X