Shingunto help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingunto help

Dear all, A friend has this Shingunto and need some info to go along with it. Its her Dads who collected all sorts of knives in his life and this is whats left. Seams to be an unsigned blade, I don't see any acceptance marks and its in the normal WW-2 officers mounts. The condition isn't the best but all in all I believe it to be original. Any help would be appreciated as well as what it is worth.
    Thanks
    Tim
    http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/ti...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/ti...tml?sort=3&o=5

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/ti...tml?sort=3&o=3

Looks like a Shinto blade in ww2 mounts

Comment

Im with nickn

Comment

Thanks guys but i'm wondering if there's a way to tell who made the blade without a signature on the tang? Probably not! Now the problem lies in that the women who owns this was shown what sounds like a catalog of Samurai Swords for sale by an older gentleman who focused on a WW-2 Shingunto with a blade from the 1500's with a price tag in the thousands of dollars. Now I've tried to explain to her that in all probability this is a machine made blade from 39-45 and the value should be between 500-1000 bucks. She said " well it looks the same" and I told her the mounts are generic WW-2 officer mounts and the real value is in the blade. And I'll try to find out what I can for her.
        Am I in the ballpark in regards to value?
        Tim

Comment

Only an uninformed individual will give her multiple thousands of dollars for an unsigned Edo period blade. As Nick mentioned, it is likely made in the 17th century. However, the lack of a signature means it was likely part of a contract order of sword made enmasse or the blade had a flaw so the smith did not sign it.. Value in a blade is based n the workmanship and lack of folding flaws. I would feel retail on this piece would be between $1500-$2000 as long as it does not have any problems. As an art sword collectable, it does not have a high degree of value. The sword the woman is quoting is made at the end of what is considered the old sword period. That also is a difference in value over a sword from the new sword period. Materials and workamanship is completely different.

Comment

Thanks you guys and I'll pass the information on the the woman.
            Tim

Comment

Please note that the value range quoted would also be for a blade in very good to excellent condition without staining or rust.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X