Interesting Sake Bottle & Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Sake Bottle & Cup

I picked this interesting sake bottle & cup up last month.

The bottle is marked "Ziyosen [the name of the sake?] Spring Like Superior Sake" on one side and "Man [the name of the sake shop?] Sake Shop Kokura [a city in Fukuoka Prefecture]" on the other side. The inside of the cup is marked "Fortune, blessing, luck, etc."

The cup is attached to the bottle via a small cord. On the opposite end of the cup is a cork that fits into the bottle.

Here are some photos of the sake bottle and cup...
    Last edited by Eric Doody; 12-02-2004, 11:00 PM.

Here is the second photo...

Comment

Here is a close-up of the exterior of cup...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
        Here is the second photo...
        This may be a silly question, but what exactly is Sake? I know it's a liquour, and that is all.

And would this be a household item, or something a person would carry around somehow?
        Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian Bianchi
          This may be a silly question, but what exactly is Sake? I know it's a liquour, and that is all.
          Sake is rice wine.

Eric, that is one cool bottle

Roy

Comment

And would this be a household item, or something a person would carry around somehow?
            OOOOOOOOOH SAKE! Love the stuff, it's a fermented rice drink, you could call it a wine I don't think that's proper because it is distilled. Sake is drank two ways most popular is warm, in small cups. or chilled. (like it either way). It runs from quite cheap to very expensive. If you want to try some look for some asian markets and give it a go.

Comment

I'm surprised that there isn't any other threads on Sake cups, and bottles, the Japenese used them for many military ceremonies and such. There is a book out "Japanese Military Sake Cups 1894-1945" that is quite interesting.

I may just have to show some of my sake cups later if there is any interest.

Comment

Sebastian,

Sake is fermented rice wine. (If you would like me to go into more detail let me know.)

Sake is associated with religious rituals and festivals and is served at traditional ceremonies and at weddings throughout Japan.

Folks purchase sake like we would whiskey, rum, etc., and would keep it on hand for special occasions. One can also purchase sake in restaurants and bars as well.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Comment

It sounds like we have some forum members whom have experienced sake before.

I recommend drinking atsukan or "hot" sake.

Let's see some photos of those sake cups and bottles that are in other collections.

Here is a photo of the sake bottles in my collection...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Doody
                    It sounds like we have some forum members whom have experienced sake before.

I recommend drinking atsukan or "hot" sake.

Let's see some photos of those sake cups and bottles that are in other collections.

Here is a photo of the sake bottles in my collection...
                    A number 1 GI! Great bottles!

Comment

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it's always better to be Number 1 than Number 10 that's for sure.

Japanese Military Sake Cups 1894-1945 is a good reference book to have if you collect, or are thinking about collecting, Japanese sake cups, bottles, trays, etc.

Eric
                      Last edited by Eric Doody; 12-03-2004, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Saki

Beautiful bottles and saki cups.
                        Saki,when served hot,should be around 98 degrees warmth(body temp.)as it almost is absorbed immediately before hitting the stomach.
                        I was told this while in Japan and it's a unique feeling...
                        I also understand that Kamikaze pilots drank a "death toast"before flying last missions,drinking water,rather than saki, from ceremonial saki cups.
                        Can anyone give an address for the saki cup book mentioned earlier?
                        J.v.C.

Comment

Eric, your collection is superb!!

Here's an Urushi lacquered-wood sake cup that I have. It's a large one measuring about 4" across the top. The Army helmet, katana and chrysanthemums are hand painted.

Roy
                          Attached Files

Comment

J.von Canon,

Thanks for the feedback and additional information on sake.

Here is the information on the book that was reference:

Japanese Military Sake Cups 184-1945
                            by Dan King
                            ISBN: 0-7643-1881-0
                            $59.95

Published by
                            Schiffer Publishing Ltd.
                            4880 Lower Valley Road
                            Atglen, PA 19310 USA
                            www.schifferbooks.com

Let us know how you make out.

Eric

Originally posted by J.von Canon
                            Beautiful bottles and saki cups.
                            Saki,when served hot,should be around 98 degrees warmth(body temp.)as it almost is absorbed immediately before hitting the stomach.
                            I was told this while in Japan and it's a unique feeling...
                            I also understand that Kamikaze pilots drank a "death toast"before flying last missions,drinking water,rather than saki, from ceremonial saki cups.
                            Can anyone give an address for the saki cup book mentioned earlier?
                            J.v.C.

Comment

Roy,

Super cup!

Do you have the wooden storage box that would have came with the cup?

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X