Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting IJA Field Cap-Translation Help

Greetings,
    Here is an interesting field cap that I have. I just found out the liner has MFT Stamps from a Type 45 Visor Cap that is date showa 9 (1934). These caps were made late war.

The name tag is filled out and the outside of cap has writing as well but it does not seem to be legible. I found writing underneath the liner band that I believe could be the owners name. Would somebody be able to kindly translate this area? I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much.
    Regards,Michael

Hi Michael,

Looks like a very nice cap. I think maybe the liner, chinstrap and sweatband are all from a Type 45 EM's hat. It seems to be trying to be an officers cap with the interesting thread stitched star (which I have not seen before) but the stitched vent holes lack metal grommets usually associated with an officers piece.

What kind of adjustment tie in the back does it have?

All in all it appears to be of fine quality construction and an interesting bit of recycling. It's unfortunate that in its present incarnation there are no clues as to where and when it was made. If there are others like it with a good provenance I'd be very interested in the story.

Regards, Rod

Comment

Greetings, nice to hear your feedback. I have seen another from a website in japan with the same multi piece construction from fabric material. The cap had a different star and NO burlap liner from the type45 cap. So I believe some may not have been completed. The writing under the sweat band I'm hoping might reveal some clue about where and specifically when it was made. The extra detail on the star really intrigued me . The go out of the way to stitch a star on top of the star but not bother to out metal grommets in for the sweat holes is a mind scratcher. I will post a photo tonight of the back when I arrived home .

Comment

Comment

Thank you for the additional pic. It's a quality piece. Recycling earlier uniforms would be one way to keep standards up. Compared to the high rag content wool and rubber chinstraps of many late war field caps this one seems luxurious. Given the adjustment tie of fairly thick ribbon and the lack of grommets I think it's mean't to be an NCO/EM cap. Even at a late war date thre would be no reason to dispense with the characteristic details of an officers cap. Maybe it's a private purchase.

Interesting it may belong to a sub genre of field cap.

Regards, Rod

Comment

I cannot read half of the name.

The far right says
            大高隊
            Ōtaka Tai [Ōtaka Corps]

The family name begins with but I cannot clearly see the second kanji

[?]

Taka~ ???

The given name looks like Tsunetake, but I cannot clearly see the first kanji.

Tsunetake

--Guy

Comment

Wow,Very nice! Thank you Guy San, very much.

Comment

This might be a stupid question. Im always weary of variants that have not been seen.

Is the translation Corp a representation for a military corp or would it mean corporation?

Did the Japanese have the term Corp during WW2 for the military ?

Comment

Originally posted by FightenIrish35 View Post
                  This might be a stupid question. Im always weary of variants that have not been seen.

Is the translation Corp a representation for a military corp or would it mean corporation?

Did the Japanese have the term Corp during WW2 for the military ?
                  Military corps. In this case, 大高隊 Ōtaka Tai [Ōtaka Corps]; perhaps I should have written "group" or "section" instead of corps?

"tai" [group] means a military element such as corps/group/force. For example another tai/group was the 山下兵団南方斬込 Yamash!ta Heidan Nanpo Kirikomi-tai [Yamash!ta Corps South, Sword-Assault Group]. They were a special assault group attached to a Corps-level unit.

兵団 Heidan = Corps
                  師団 Shidan = Division
                  連隊 Rentai = Regiment
                  大隊 Daitai = Battalion
                  中隊 Chūtai = Company
                  小隊 Shōtai = Platoon

"Corp." -- the abbreviation for a civilian corporation, can be:
                  株式会社 Kabushikikaisha {co., Ltd}
                  法人 Hōjin [Corporation; literally "Legal Person"]
                  会社 Kaisha [Company]
                  コーポレーション Kōporēshon [corporation]
                  社団法人 Shadanhōjin [incorporated association]
                  商社 Shōsha [trading company]

Now, I'm not a military scholar or expert, so I'll look for corrections from others who know better.

Cheers,
                  --Guy

Comment

the liner was add into the cap later, the liner is type 45 hat's liner.

Comment

There are no field cap in Japan troops on the year showa 9.

Comment

ZTS-Please read my first post. I stated this is a late war 1945 field cap that was made from parts of the Type 45 Visor cap. This is a seldom seen occurrence. A late war field cap using discarded early army supplies.

If you note the material of the cap, burlap liner with type 45 stamps, and the type 45 black leather chin strap you will see it was completely made using the old Type 45 visor caps.

Very interesting cap.

Thank you very much Guy San , this clears things up for me.

Comment

sorry,I not read you first post,
                          Originally posted by FightenIrish35 View Post
                          ZTS-Please read my first post. I stated this is a late war 1945 field cap that was made from parts of the Type 45 Visor cap. This is a seldom seen occurrence. A late war field cap using discarded early army supplies.

If you note the material of the cap, burlap liner with type 45 stamps, and the type 45 black leather chin strap you will see it was completely made using the old Type 45 visor caps.

Very interesting cap.

Thank you very much Guy San , this clears things up for me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X