No announcement yet.

Blade Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I did not take before photos because of the amount of Kizu I believed after evaluation, the polisher would decline the project. I was surprised he did not. The geometry of the piece was still pretty good no nicks or grinding
    etc. so I elected to proceed. Here is a photo that closely approximates the condition the blade was in before polish. Thanks G.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow it was rough
      How long did the polisher take ?

Comment

The whole process shipping, evaluation, shirasaya ,habaki, polish, and return right about a year. I did my best to just forget about it and let it go until I got the call. Its hard to do but if you want it done you will have to wait. The photo I used to show condition was a little further gone than my piece was I did not have the pitting issues the photo does but the greying and finger prints were so bad you could barely tell there was a hamon and the hada was almost invisible. It is what it is but the before and after has inspired me. Would I do it again on a sword of this quality? probably not but I definitely have stepped up my studies and the fact that there are swords available in polish for close to the price of a good polish will give me the opportunity to make more informed decisions when purchasing hand forged pieces. All comments are appreciated G.

Comment

Geoff, I'm very glad I was wrong. As I myself just recieved a sword back from polish I know the feeling. Please accept my sincere apologies. For the time being I'm only online with an iPhone so...
          Kind Regards
          Daniel

Comment

No need for apologies my friend ALL comments are appreciated! that is the great thing about the forum! it is a way to have discussions about all aspects of our collecting hobby.If there were no different opinions or questions brought up the only way to glean information would be through books which don't get me wrong are a valuable resource but not quite the same as having different points of view and various experiences shared and discussed When you know everything have seen everything and done everything its time to find a new hobby! I can definitely say I plan on having this hobby for quite a while!

Comment

That being said I would love to get some feedback from some of the sword aficionados as to whether or not, based on what we have seen here, Would it be a worthwhile endeavor to pursue a submission for Shinsa? at some point in the past someone thought enough of the piece to have it mounted in Shirasaya Perhaps the individual who also had the false signature added to the Nakago. It was done a long time ago and I do not know whose name was on the tang but it was determined to be a false signature and suggested to me to have it removed.Being a novice I defaulted to the advice of those more educated than myself and after careful thought agreed.Although I am the temporary keeper of this piece I want it to be judged on its own merits and flaws not by a false signature. Even if the piece were just a valiant effort from an inspired student it means more to me as is than as a lie. What if it did bring papers? What would they tell us?... Yes, this is an old sword? Age? School? Dimensions? I'm not sure that would help the value. It is what it is.
              A couple of years ago I was judging blades by the quality of the nickel plating and how much gilding was left on the D guard. Then by how many nicks from chopping brush or if the Ito was still there from being torn apart looking for prayers or hidden jewels! This is whole different animal!!! Would papers encourage the next caretaker to be a little more attentive? To keep the rust away and not let people "feel how sharp it is after eating pork rinds?"or let his wife's little crap eater pee on it while it is sitting in a corner covered in dust? I think so.... But what do I know? ... Not a lot but I'm pretty sure I want to learn. Any thoughts or comments appreciated! Geoff

Comment

I don't know when the next us shinsa is but why not send it it's not very expensive and it will paper to a school at least

Comment

Thanks Nick, Does anyone know When? and Where? and what the procedure is for contacting the powers that be? I would be happy to share the entire process with you all and the results Good or Bad Thanks,Geoff

Comment

The best possible result for an accurate attribution is to have the blade judged in Japan. Unfortunately, this would incur a lot of cost which is likely more than it is worth. Shinsa held outside of Japan are not always the most reliable. The team is usually suffering from jet lag and do not always come up with the best appraisal on an unsigned blade. I once saw a blade that had been submitted for shinsa three seperate times in the USA. It had three entirely differnt certificate opinions. One as a Muromachi Period blade, one as an early Edo Period blade and one as a Late Edo Period blade. Sue koto, shinto and shinshinto! To of the attributions, the sue koto and shinshinto, were from the same team. I also recall an individual submitted a blade as a test on an individual holding shinsa back in the late 70's. The blade came back with an attribution to an obscure Edo Period swordsmith. In reality, the blade was a Late Kamakura Perriod blade that had been designated Juyo Token by the NBTHK!
                    At times, foreign shinsa can also have business overtones. I submitted a 34" shinshinto dated blade signed "Minamoto Kiyomaro," who was considered one of the most famous Late Edo Period smiths. It was bounced as gimei or fake signature. The blade was later submitted to the NBTHK in Japan where it was awarded Juyo token status and recommended to be submitted for Tokubetsu Juyo shinsa.
                    It is up to you what you may want to do but enjoy your sword for what it is without provenance. You may never receive an accurate answer as to who, when and where.

Comment

Thank you all very much! Now I understand how many factors are involved in having a sword polished and the many options available! In many cases a sword may not warrant the additional expenses of a polish or Shinsa.In some cases a polish may actually do more harm than good,and as Bob pointed out a Shinsa may not always be accurate. Ultimately it will be up to the owner to decide.In the end "It is what it is" enjoy them for what they are and take care of them for future generations.After all ... they were here long before we were and hopefully will be Looonnnggg after!

Happy Hunting!

Geoff

Comment

that blade its a beauty!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X