Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII Japanese Officer Swords

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple of nice WWII Japanese Officer swords I'm going to put on the e-stand, but want to get some opinions before I did.

I know the pics are not the best. So let me know if you would like a better photo of anything in particular.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

There is a small nick in the blade noted by the red circle in the photo.
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thats the last set of photos for this sword.
          Attached Files

Comment

This is some closer pics of the second one I have.
            Attached Files

Comment

ttt
              Attached Files

Comment

The first sword looks to be a Chinese fake

Comment

I'm inclined to agree although perhaps it's a theatre made piece.

The second looks legit although the blackening of portions of the tsuka appear to have been done post manufacture.

Regards,
                  Stu

Comment

I think quite a few "theatre " made swords were made in china
                    The tang ,number on the habaki and tsuba makes it look like a later Chinese copy

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                      I think quite a few "theatre " made swords were made in china
                      The tang ,number on the habaki and tsuba makes it look like a later Chinese copy
                      Hi Nick,

I don't disagree although that one does look a bit better than many with the kanji etched into the blade etc.. I also don't like the dimensions of the tsuba and of course a numbered habaki is always a red flag.

Regards,
                      Stu

Comment

I believe the second sword is composed of various parts that were put together to sell at the PX's after WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by lugernut View Post
                          I believe the second sword is composed of various parts that were put together to sell at the PX's after WWII.
                          I've been reviewing the photos of that one as well and think you are likely correct.

Regards,
                          Stu

Comment

Possibly some original Navy components, can't tell without better photos possibly Tsuka and late style Tsuba? Hard to tell... any photos of the "Navy style" tang might help G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                              Possibly some original Navy components, can't tell without better photos possibly Tsuka and late style Tsuba? Hard to tell... any photos of the "Navy style" tang might help G.
                              Hi Geoff,

That's certainly another possibility. I'm without my Dawson at the moment but do recall some late war swords of mixed parts referred to as emergency issue I believe. I'll take a look ASAP and see how this compares. Given that Gene plans to sell them I want to make sure they get a good (fair) review.

Regards,
                              Stu

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X