Japanese Flag from Okinawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Flag from Okinawa

I have had this flag for a few years now and just getting around to posting it... Don't know much about these flags so any comments are appreciated
    Attached Files

A few more pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Provenance I received with this flag, but have not been able to research name of the veteran who acquired it on Okinawa
      Attached Files

Comment

一中二小
        Ichi-Chū Ni-Shō

1st Company 2nd Platoon
        中隊 Chūtai = Company
        小隊 Shōtai = Platoon

--Guy

Comment

Searching His Commands Might Give Clues??

23d Air Depot Group
          23d Air Depot Group
          Source: Mr. Mark Boland & Mr. Bernie Shearon

Lineage:
          23d Air Depot Gp, Depot Repair Sq, Depot Supply Sq authorized and constituted at Patterson Field, OH per AG 320.2, 5 Jan 42, activated 19 Jan 42, inactivated 15 Feb 46, disbanded 27 Sep 84.

Stations:
          Patterson Fld, OH to 9 Jun 42, McClellan Fld, CA to 7 Jun 43, San Bernardino AAB, CA to 4 Feb 44, Kelly Fld, TX to 5 Oct 44, Tinker Fld, OK to 19 May 45, probably a brief stay at a west coast POE, and joined the depot complex at Harmon Fld, Guam. Moved to Okinawa Air Depot, Naha, Okinawa, arriving 14 Jul 45. Inactivated 15 Feb 46.

Assignments:
          Probable assignments (based on stations, not direct information) III Air Service Area Cmd to Jun 42, IV Air Service Area Cmd to Feb 43, Sacramento Air Depot Control Area Cd/Air Service Cmd to Jun 43, San Bernardino Air Service Cmd to Feb 44, San Antonio Air Service Cmd to Oct 44, Oklahoma City Air Service Cd/AAF Technical Service Cmd to May 45.
          • Hq and Hq Sq
          • ?? Depot Repair Squadron
          • ?? Depot Supply Squadron

source

Comment

The Rising Sun being off center(To the Left side) normally indicate Navy use if I remember correctly. Geoff

Comment

Pacific Stars & Stripes, 1950

He and his wife must have be at Clark Air Base in the Philippines on 6 Oct 1950:

Pacific Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - October 6, 1950, Tokyo, Japan

......CLARK AFB—Golfers inthe men's and women's golf tournament on Clark Air Force Base
              have reached the semi-final stage. Still holding out in the men's championship flight
              were Ralph M. Petrizzi, M/SgtPeter J. Wilson- and T/Sgt.Joe G. Huffman, with the
              second round match between Lt. Edward R. Moore and T/Sgt. George A. Wilson yet to be
              played. On the distaff side, winners Mrs. Melvin L. Warm and Mrs. Edward O. Crider will
              play Mrs. Dolph G. 'Frantz and Mrs. Edwin G. Jane in the semi-finals of the championship
              flight.

source

Comment

March 20 1943

Far right column: 2lt Edward O. Crider promoted to 1LT who was a personnel officer in the quartermaster section. The article gives a mini-bio with his call-to-duty dates and family.

--Guy

Comment

Thank you all very much! I appreciate all the information you have provided me with

Comment

Would anyone have any idea the value of a piece like this?

Comment

Hey guys, still curious what a value would be on this beautiful flag of mine..

Comment

How big is it?

Comment

30"x50"

Comment

What's it made of? Cotton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes it is cotton

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X